Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Whats a good reciever???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats a good reciever???

I'm planning building an AR and am looking for a good upper and lower. Good brands? I'm decoding between rock river or colt. I was thinking Noveske but the are expensive. Any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole5
I'm planning building an AR and am looking for a good upper and lower. Good brands? I'm decoding between rock river or colt. I was thinking Noveske but the are expensive. Any ideas?
Black Rain or Larue

Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #3

I built 2 rock rivers bc I got the special Christmas deal from gilbertsguns for $89 per lower.

If I build another I will get the quientin defense billet lower.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Get whatever looks good as long as it's w/i spec.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Most any good forged alluminum lower should work out well for you. There are also good billet aluminum lowers as well. Alot of manufacturers get their lowers forged at the same forge houses, just with their markings. Smith and Wesson invested in forging their own.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 75 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Check out MEGA

http://megamachineshop.com/megaarms.php

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am very happy with my Spikes lower and my Aero Precision upper.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Palmetto State Armory frequently runs a sale on their lowers. As low as $49.95 per lower plus shipping & FFL fee. These are great lowers and uppers.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole5 View Post
Essentially the Lower Receiver, which is where everyone usually starts, is nothing more than a component to hold all the working parts in close configuration during operation. Assuming you are not asking about a "custom" or Billet CNC'd special purchase....

Fact is many of the so called "manufacturers" all use upper and lower receivers from one of the 5 or 6 really big name manufacturers of AR components and merely have then stamped with their company name or symbol. They are then assembled in house and sold as a working "Brand X" model.

Example?

Continental Machine & Tool: Has produced, or is currently producing, receivers (upper & lower) for -

Stag
Rock River Arms
S&W
Noveske (past)
Colt
Wilson Tactical

And those are only the ones I have seen specifically indicated, there are probably several more.

LMT and LAR Manufacturing also source many other brands than just their own product.

So at the end of the day buying a "X" branded receiver is really buying a receiver made by someone else and rebranded. This is very common practice in the AR world and has little downside as tolerances and machining/processing utilize Six Sigma processes to eliminate mistakes.

Any lower receiver, assuming it wasn't made by Bubba at the local tire shop and AR store, is going to match with a like named upper and provide you the ability to effectively assemble a quality AR.

Now if you want a match winning, course dominating, end all beat all competition model, you are going to be looking at a completely different animal. But for the basic AR owner who is looking at assembling, or outright purchasing, a weapon for SHTF defense and weekend plinking, the receiver is probably one of the most basic components.

Essentially, pick a symbol you like that meets your price range.

JD

Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont have one but I have just decided to go with a BCM lower and upper, everybody I have ask on here says they are great, reasonably priced too.