Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Whats a good reciever??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/whats-good-reciever-65828/)

cole5 06-05-2012 05:35 AM

Whats a good reciever???

I'm planning building an AR and am looking for a good upper and lower. Good brands? I'm decoding between rock river or colt. I was thinking Noveske but the are expensive. Any ideas?

NuckinFuts 06-05-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cole5
I'm planning building an AR and am looking for a good upper and lower. Good brands? I'm decoding between rock river or colt. I was thinking Noveske but the are expensive. Any ideas?

Black Rain or Larue

Sooie 06-05-2012 05:59 AM

I built 2 rock rivers bc I got the special Christmas deal from gilbertsguns for $89 per lower.

If I build another I will get the quientin defense billet lower.

MikeJK 06-05-2012 07:01 AM

Get whatever looks good as long as it's w/i spec.

SSGN_Doc 06-05-2012 11:41 AM

Most any good forged alluminum lower should work out well for you. There are also good billet aluminum lowers as well. Alot of manufacturers get their lowers forged at the same forge houses, just with their markings. Smith and Wesson invested in forging their own.

EW1066 06-05-2012 10:28 PM

Check out MEGA

http://megamachineshop.com/megaarms.php

EDUB

GaMatt72 06-05-2012 10:32 PM

I am very happy with my Spikes lower and my Aero Precision upper.

Gatoragn 06-05-2012 11:23 PM

Palmetto State Armory frequently runs a sale on their lowers. As low as $49.95 per lower plus shipping & FFL fee. These are great lowers and uppers.

Dillinger 06-11-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cole5 (Post 825542)

Essentially the Lower Receiver, which is where everyone usually starts, is nothing more than a component to hold all the working parts in close configuration during operation. Assuming you are not asking about a "custom" or Billet CNC'd special purchase....

Fact is many of the so called "manufacturers" all use upper and lower receivers from one of the 5 or 6 really big name manufacturers of AR components and merely have then stamped with their company name or symbol. They are then assembled in house and sold as a working "Brand X" model.

Example?

Continental Machine & Tool: Has produced, or is currently producing, receivers (upper & lower) for -

Stag
Rock River Arms
S&W
Noveske (past)
Colt
Wilson Tactical

And those are only the ones I have seen specifically indicated, there are probably several more.

LMT and LAR Manufacturing also source many other brands than just their own product.

So at the end of the day buying a "X" branded receiver is really buying a receiver made by someone else and rebranded. This is very common practice in the AR world and has little downside as tolerances and machining/processing utilize Six Sigma processes to eliminate mistakes.

Any lower receiver, assuming it wasn't made by Bubba at the local tire shop and AR store, is going to match with a like named upper and provide you the ability to effectively assemble a quality AR.

Now if you want a match winning, course dominating, end all beat all competition model, you are going to be looking at a completely different animal. But for the basic AR owner who is looking at assembling, or outright purchasing, a weapon for SHTF defense and weekend plinking, the receiver is probably one of the most basic components.

Essentially, pick a symbol you like that meets your price range. :cool:

JD

powell0892 06-11-2012 09:27 PM

I dont have one but I have just decided to go with a BCM lower and upper, everybody I have ask on here says they are great, reasonably priced too.