Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   What's everyones take on this rifle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/whats-everyones-take-rifle-37361/)

jca1 01-25-2011 12:35 AM

What's everyones take on this rifle?

LWRC M6 A2 5.56 MM Gas Piston AR-15

Dillinger 01-25-2011 12:46 AM

Do you know the History of Eugene Stoner and his initial THREE combat rifle designs?

Have you heard of the AR-18??

Do a little reading and you will basically know all you need to know about this new application.

Whether or not Stoner would approve of this incarnation, of that we do not know.

JD

jca1 01-25-2011 12:54 AM

You remind me of my high school auto-mech's teacher....RTFB son...RTFB

Could you just say good or bad....I trust you on this topic.

Dillinger 01-25-2011 01:13 AM

Sorry bro I meant no offense. :o

I was merely pointing out that this application was not suddenly a flash in the pan, it was planned quite awhile ago, but things happen.

As to the "new" evolution, you will be ahead of the curve on other piston driven weapons, but you will still be behind the accuracy mark versus the D.I. guns.

Of the Piston Driven weapons, this one is going to have more traction behind it. The question is will LWRC (which has one crappy website by the way) have the money to be there in the long haul??

Of the platform I dislike the stock choice and their only 5.56mm barrel is a 1:7 twist. There is nothing wrong with 1:7, but it's "downside" is that the very common 55 grainers are going to be at the low end of the accuracy spectrum in that barrel of a gun that will already have some sustained accuracy issues in follow up shots.

Anything lightweight, like a 40 grainer, will be overspun and probably come apart, so this isn't a varmint gun. Of course a 14.7" barrel isn't really a varmint gun to begin with, you know.

For $2000?? I'd save my money and build one that would kick the crap out of this model myself.

But if you HAVE to have a piston system, this is one that would definitely be in my top three choices given it's lineage.

Having said that: I have NOT shot or handled this weapon personally.

YMMV

RMTactical 01-25-2011 01:25 AM

Word is that they aren't doing as well in the gun courses as good old fashioned milspec AR15's.

jca1 01-25-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 428931)
Sorry bro I meant no offense. :o

You didn't offend me in any way.

Every time I asked a question in auto mechanics, my teacher would answer: "Read the effin book son...read the effin book" Your answer reminded me of him.

JonM 01-25-2011 02:23 AM

i can comment on pistons. i got one piston ar a ruger sr556. its not as accurate as my colt sp1 that has had thousands of rounds downrange. it does have less recoil than my colt but thats hardly an issue with 5.56 ARs. the major issue is weight and moving parts. for the price of a piston i wouldnt re-buy a piston gun. they are harder to clean due to the difficulty in disassembly to get to moving parts where the crud builds up.

function isnt an issue it does that very well. they add more moving parts that arent really needed.

i may even end up selling it someday as i really dont care for it.