whats better... i need help deciding which one to purchace
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > whats better... i need help deciding which one to purchace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default whats better... i need help deciding which one to purchace

Ive been lookink at buying a civilian m4 but dont know if its as good or better than the AR?? All i know is the m4 is a shorter version on an Ar...which one is better or does it matter?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

As far as civilian guns go they all kind if fall into the category if "AR".

If you are asking if a rifle length AR or carbine length AR is better, it would really depend in what you wanted to do with it.

I like carbines for the handiness. I like the flat top for versatility if sighting platforms. But quite frankly the modularity of the AR allows the owner to take any model and turn it into what they want. You can swap stocks. Swap uppers to get a rifle or carbine configuration. So, a person with one lower receiver can have multiple uppers for different configurations. So there is no need to limit yourself unless you live in one if the restrictive states that has laws limiting what you can do with an AR.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
As far as civilian guns go they all kind if fall into the category if "AR".

If you are asking if a rifle length AR or carbine length AR is better, it would really depend in what you wanted to do with it.

I like carbines for the handiness. I like the flat top for versatility if sighting platforms. But quite frankly the modularity of the AR allows the owner to take any model and turn it into what they want. You can swap stocks. Swap uppers to get a rifle or carbine configuration. So, a person with one lower receiver can have multiple uppers for different configurations. So there is no need to limit yourself unless you live in one if the restrictive states that has laws limiting what you can do with an AR.
I live in tx born and raised. So your saying it doesnt matter cause they are really the same just differant lengths so just buy the one i want and i can change parts later if i choose

Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Pretty much.

When you are talking about an M4 vs. an M16A2 the big differnces are in length of barrel, flat top upper, enlarged feed ramps to improve full auto cycling and a collapsable stock.

Again the big thing to ask yourself is how you want to use the rifle.

A carbine is lighter and handier. The civilian versions would have a 16" barrel instead of a 20" and possibly a collapsible stock. you lose some velocity by going to the shorter barrel but not a whole lot. If you are keeping shots inside of 400 yds, hits on a 12" target is pretty reasonable with a carbine. If you want to get out to 600 yds or a bit more, then you might want the extra velocity that the longer barrel offers.

Also ask if you want optics or are dedicated to iron sights. The longer sight radius of a rifle helps also if you are using iron sights and want to be more precise about your shots. If you want to run optics you want a flat top.

There is a good intro to ARs that is "stickied" in this forum that goes into more detail about the options and things you may want to consider before purchasing an AR.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #5

Is there a brand i shouldnt get cause ill have problems?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #6

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Instead of getting in to which brands to buy or not to buy, start thinking about your applications and budget. Then read Agent Tikki's AR Primer and let it soak in with your turkey. Build the perfect AR for yourself in your mind and get the configuration/parts down on paper.

Then look fast for some PSA Black Friday sales!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Black Friday.......man, my trigger finger's already getting itchy.....

Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #8

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Black Friday.......man, my trigger finger's already getting itchy.....
Yep. I can't wait. I hope to find a good deal on an upper, and have mine finished.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.