What's the best ar for the money
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What's the best ar for the money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default What's the best ar for the money

I'm kinda new at becoming a fun enthusiast or a gun nut as I like to say I've found out real quick its a very expensive habit. My question is for the money hands down what is the best ar for the money and should I go with 7.62 or 223 and what about if I waned to build my own is it worth it or should I buy one ready for the range
Thanks to whoevers willin to throw some input my way

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

If its your 1st i'd say buy one ready to shoot in 5.56/223.
I've always been a DPMS fan but theres a ot of great AR builders
I strongly suggest a flat top----

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #3

Liked 3142 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2190

i'm new to AR's, but i guess it helps to hear from folks with all levels of experience.

retail, in the $800-1200 price range, there are going to be so many choices its mind boggling. you should get some good feedback on this board, as many of the posters here really know their stuff.

many say they you can order & build your own high quality AR for $700-900, and save money vs purchasing off the shelf. i really have no expertise in this matter, it would be better for others to advise you here.

if you want the $600-750 price range, your options seem much more limited. mostly dpms it seems to me, which gets mixed reviews. also, there is the s&w sport, which i now own (bout $650). i think the s&w sport might be one of the best AR values out there at the moment. for 600-700, you have an AR you can basically pull out of the box and take to the range. i have been pretty impressed with mine, and i refuse to drop a grand on any firearm i've ever purchased thus far.....so if you are cheapo like me, check it out.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Last edited by hawkguy; 07-18-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: attachment

Old 07-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Depends on what your going to do with the ar.

Build your own check out the stickies top of the forum on how to diy it

Accuracy hard to beat rra with their cryoed airgauged wilson barrels.

For milspec its bravo company and colt either of which make very fine home defense cqb shtf run it hot and hard type rifles.

If you just like the look of an ar15 and are going to put a hundred or so rounds through it a month at the local plinking range pretty much anything else works great.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-18-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #5

Rangersales.com and model1sales.com have some cheap AR15s but ranger is real shady and I've got bad reviews about the model1 lowers. I considerd buying just the upper and a prebuilt lower. I have considered the dpms oracle and other DPMSs but I'm in the same boat as you. I suggest getting a RRA lower and a DPMS or a model 1 upper. Something cheap andi it doesn't work you can replace the upper. Just be sure to get good lower, that's what gets messed up most often.

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

STAG has infinite barrel warranty and the model 3 is optics ready w/out sights only down side but gun+sights could leave you under 1k. I love my STAG it's my 3rd AR and its been my favorite of DPMS, and another was Olympic upper with colt upper. My STAG has the hands down the tightest fit with upper/lower than any other I've had.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

image-4197877289.jpg

Model3 STAG/rear Magpul&Troy Gas Block frog sight

Old 07-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

It all boils down to what you want to spend and what type of AR you want. If you know what types of specific parts you want in each section or your rifle (like say, a generic BCG vs milspec vs nickel boron), you'll be best served building your own. But if you haven't yet discovered exactly what you want, your only real gain in building will be knowledge and experience.

As far as builds go, I think $800-1000 can go a long way on a Spike's build through JoeBob's. And in the $900-1300 range, it's tough to beat BCM.

Here's what I think is a quality starter build that will treat you right:

Spikes MOE, MilSpec mid-length (JoeBob's)

Spikes Stripped lower, Spikes LPK: $150
Spikes ML 16" MOE complete upper: $510 (add $100-150 for more elaborate handguard)
Magpul MOE stock, grip, MBUIS: $150

And you've got almost $200 for extras, upgrades, unforeseen expenses before you reach the $1000 mark. But some of this stuff requires waiting for it to come in stock and quickly snapping it up before someone else does.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Depends on what your going to do with the ar.

Build your own check out the stickies top of the forum on how to diy it

Accuracy hard to beat rra with their cryoed airgauged wilson barrels.

For milspec its bravo company and colt either of which make very fine home defense cqb shtf run it hot and hard type rifles.

If you just like the look of an ar15 and are going to put a hundred or so rounds through it a month at the local plinking range pretty much anything else works great.
I like the look but and I've shot a couple before and just loved it and I think it would be a nice home defense gun but ain't gona be scared to take it to the range now and then and practice

Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
It all boils down to what you want to spend and what type of AR you want. If you know what types of specific parts you want in each section or your rifle (like say, a generic BCG vs milspec vs nickel boron), you'll be best served building your own. But if you haven't yet discovered exactly what you want, your only real gain in building will be knowledge and experience.

As far as builds go, I think $800-1000 can go a long way on a Spike's build through JoeBob's. And in the $900-1300 range, it's tough to beat BCM.

Here's what I think is a quality starter build that will treat you right:

Spikes MOE, MilSpec mid-length (JoeBob's)

Spikes Stripped lower, Spikes LPK: $150
Spikes ML 16" MOE complete upper: $510 (add $100-150 for more elaborate handguard)
Magpul MOE stock, grip, MBUIS: $150

And you've got almost $200 for extras, upgrades, unforeseen expenses before you reach the $1000 mark. But some of this stuff requires waiting for it to come in stock and quickly snapping it up before someone else does.
That knowledge and experience would probably be a good thing for a newby like me