what is your opinion on the magwell hand grips? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > what is your opinion on the magwell hand grips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 63 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here is a video from a competition shooter demonstrating using skeletal support. Look where he puts his support hand. If a competition shooter is using the mag area for is grip area and succeeding it must work, at least for him. Granted he is no wrapping his hands around the magwell but he is using the magwell as a support area.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:29 AM   #12

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

I may be mistaken, but I don't think his reference to the mag well grip is in this context. I know some sniping in different positions does that ^ kind of thing or something like it. I've seen them kneeling kinda like that.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Old 03-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #13

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Watch "Travis Haley on Carbine Grip" on YouTube
Travis Haley on Carbine Grip: http://youtu.be/dvkf7Cs43MI
Not saying there's no time and place for it, just that 99% of the time there's a better grip.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Old 03-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #14

Liked 63 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree that 99% of the time there maybe a better grip. But I believe standing, unsupported it is hard to argue not using the magwell for support. Granted when clearing a room it is better to have a more forward grip to better control the muzzle swing. But when clearing a room you are not worried about longer range accuracy. And there may even be some circumstances that a person may choose a magwell grip for clearing a room.

I still stand by my "If it works for you, use it". I will add that I agree that there may be better ways and it is a god idea to try them. Put a good effort in to trying something different. Now for those that have the opportunity to train consistently you will have a quicker response whether a new grip will work or not. Those of us that do not have that opportunity need to try and make more time to at least try something different, even without shooting, until it is comfortable then try it while shooting to see if it will work for you.

I'm a firm believer that if you hit what you are shooting at consistently there is not much wrong with what you are doing. Granted there is still room for improvement.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknight40 View Post
I agree that 99% of the time there maybe a better grip. But I believe standing, unsupported it is hard to argue not using the magwell for support. Granted when clearing a room it is better to have a more forward grip to better control the muzzle swing. But when clearing a room you are not worried about longer range accuracy. And there may even be some circumstances that a person may choose a magwell grip for clearing a room.

I still stand by my "If it works for you, use it". I will add that I agree that there may be better ways and it is a god idea to try them. Put a good effort in to trying something different. Now for those that have the opportunity to train consistently you will have a quicker response whether a new grip will work or not. Those of us that do not have that opportunity need to try and make more time to at least try something different, even without shooting, until it is comfortable then try it while shooting to see if it will work for you.

I'm a firm believer that if you hit what you are shooting at consistently there is not much wrong with what you are doing. Granted there is still room for improvement.
Standing freehand is not going to be accurate with that grip. Look at camp perry vids i dont think you will see anyone break in the top 90% using a ar15 with a magwell grip...

Using the magwell as a rest on a solid object is different than using it as a freehand support. Get a good sling learn to use it and you will be amazed at the increase in accuracy and decrease in group sizes

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Magwell grip? Hate it.

Vertical foregrips? Dislike 'em. I sold the VFG (a good one) that came on my DD.

I'm sure there are countless shooters better than myself who will disagree with my stance. And that's just fine. I like the Magpul AFG on a combat/SHTF type rifle. A $40 AFG replaced the $60 Daniel Defense VFG on my DDM4v3, and I considered it an upgrade. And it was, for me. I prefer no front grip on a varmint/range/precision setup. Buy what works for you. None of my likes/dislikes should dramatically shape your preferences. When it comes to ARs, pistols, or almost any firearm for that matter...personal preference always sits atop of the list of 'must haves'.

That oddball thought above in bold and blue...it's highlighted in that manner for a reason. While it's sort of a generic thought, I feel it'll generally steer you in the right direction. Plenty of folks will tell you what works for them. That's great. There's some value in that information. But what works for you will always matter far more.