Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   what is your opinion on the magwell hand grips? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/what-your-opinion-magwell-hand-grips-105111/)

ccase39 03-15-2014 04:18 AM

what is your opinion on the magwell hand grips?

I have had VfGs which I decided quickly I do not like and an AFG which I like better but always go back to holding the rifle at the Mag well while shooting. How well do the grips that attach to the mag well work? Is shooting in this manner a bad habit?

Sniper03 03-15-2014 03:23 PM

ccase,

Nothing wrong with them! As long as the shooter keeps any contact and or pressure off the Magazine while shooting. This could interfere with the weapon's function. In addition the grip should be very secure on the Mag Well lest it interfere with the operation of the Mag Release and functions.

ccase39 03-15-2014 05:31 PM

Thanks! Really appreciate that!

JonM 03-15-2014 06:04 PM

i dont want to knock you around but holding the magwell is the worst place you can hold a rifle with the offhand other than sticking your hand in a pocket.

a good hold that gives you good control, creates a solid platform, and minimizes sight wobble, is as far forward on the handguard as you can comfortably reach. so unless you got tiny little t-rex arms your hold should be up near the front sight somwhere.

wknight40 03-15-2014 07:27 PM

When I was active duty I never used the mag well as a hand grip. 20 years later I by my first M4 and the first thing I did was use the mag well as my hand grip. The only thing I can figure is while active duty I was always shooting prone or in a fox hole. For me, with my hand on the hand guards where I wanted them the weapon seemed to be floating all over the place. Moved back towards the mag well and I was more consistent. Granted I was shooting standing, kept everything on paper as the scope was not sighted in yet. Personally if it works for you it is not really wrong. I do agree that you do not want to interfere with the magazine as this could cause it to bind and not feed properly.

Dahamp2003 03-18-2014 12:09 AM

In my opinion, I usually tell people to do whatever they want, but there are some instances where "do what works for you", can be learning the wrong way. If holding the AR with one hand worked for me no one would recommend it. Learn the best way, or at least one of the top ways, even if it means temporarily losing accuracy to gain long term fundamentals and better shooting. I remember when I first started shooting my pistol. I had a weird teacup grip. It worked, better than the shooter first starting out, because I had practiced it a little bit. Changing to a thumbs forward grip and a isosceles stance was weird and I didn't like it. I gave up short term accuracy and being comfortable for long term fundamentals. Now I'm pinging steel with a 3" barreled 9mm at 100 yards all day long. I'm convinced I'd never have been able to do that had I not learned fundamentals. As far as the mag well grip goes, anything short of a really, really light SBR, for CQB I just don't think is fundamentally sound. And even in those instances is probably not. Learn the correct way. Or at least one of them. You'll be thankful you did. Trust me, coming from someone who learned the hard way too.

Dahamp2003 03-18-2014 12:11 AM

Here's my point. How many PGA golfers have a messed up swing? 1? 2? Furyk is all I can really think of. They are fundamentals for a reason. If the mag well grip worked, competitive shooters would all be using it. They don't (at least from what I've seen).

robocop10mm 03-18-2014 12:29 AM

Mag well grip is a Mall Ninja/video game hold. Terrible weapon retention. Terrible recoil control.

Mercator 03-18-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccase39 (Post 1530578)
I have had VfGs which I decided quickly I do not like and an AFG which I like better but always go back to holding the rifle at the Mag well while shooting. How well do the grips that attach to the mag well work? Is shooting in this manner a bad habit?

99% certain you will shoot better if you change your grip.