What would you recommend Psa or bcm upper? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What would you recommend Psa or bcm upper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Damn, PSA gets as much love as the fat girl in high school! Mj knows his stuff, and we have already agreed to disagree on the ranking of a PSA rifle. I think it's the way to go if there is a budget involved, and BCM... Well, as everyone said, you CANT go wrong with a BCM. I think PSA is more than a safe queen, or a rifle to keep the rounds low on said safe queens, but that's just my 2 cents. They are experiencing some horrible growing pains right now and while the product is still top notch, the CS is lacking due to the super high influx of customers and calls without time to train up new employees. Or that's just t excuse I'm using for them, take it as you will!

PSA is a quality rifle, on paper. I would put my PSA I built up against a BCM in a direct comparison, based on the rifle itself. They claim to use the highest grade materials and perform all the best testing to ensure quality, the only part where Questions have been asked but can't be answered are in the area of tolerances.... They are still too. We to have established a reputation for tight fits and perfect rifles. The same question could be asked of BCM about their tolerances, but they have the established reputation of quality that only using some of the lowest tolerances can build. Time will tell here, but if PSA can keep pace i wouldn't be surprised to see their prices on par with BCM in a few years with the same reputation. I just hope they keep on the straight and narrow instead of cutting corners like some manufacturers. Anyways, today at the range proved to me that I made the right choice when I went with PSA (i was trying to stay in a budget for my first build. I failed, but that's because of accessories. I would have failed MISERABLY had i opted to go with BCM or DD). With. the glass I have on it, a 4-12x40 vortex diamondback, and with no previous rifle shooting experience, I was shooting 1/2 MOA at 50 yards after only one magazine through the rifle.

After saying that, if I wasn't there, I would have a hard time believing it. I'll get the target from my buddies house for pictures, and it's the truth. This was shooting from a bench with a bipod, and it blew me away. I wasn't expecting that kind of accuracy out of my first build my first time out, maybe it was just beginners luck.

Anyways, my PSA defense rant is over. I agree with your decision on BCM, they are top tier in every way, and while I seriously consider PSA rifles high quality, with BCM you really get the whole package.

Mj, I have a feeling I'm am going to have to threadstalk you to defend my stance on PSA, just so there is some other opinions for those asking for them to read :P

As always, it's been fun

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Todd_; 03-15-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #32

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_
Damn, PSA gets as much love as the fat girl in high school! Mj knows his stuff, and we have already agreed to disagree on the ranking of a PSA rifle. I think it's the way to go if there is a budget involved, and BCM... Well, as everyone said, you CANT go wrong with a BCM. I think PSA is more than a safe queen, or a rifle to keep the rounds low on said safe queens, but that's just my 2 cents. They are experiencing some horrible growing pains right now and while the product is still top notch, the CS is lacking due to the super high influx of customers and calls without time to train up new employees. Or that's just t excuse I'm using for them, take it as you will!

PSA is a quality rifle, on paper. I would put my PSA I built up against a BCM in a direct comparison, based on the rifle itself. They claim to use the highest grade materials and perform all the best testing to ensure quality, the only part where Questions have been asked but can't be answered are in the area of tolerances.... They are still too. We to have established a reputation for tight fits and perfect rifles. The same question could be asked of BCM about their tolerances, but they have the established reputation of quality that only using some of the lowest tolerances can build. Time will tell here, but if PSA can keep pace i wouldn't be surprised to see their prices on par with BCM in a few years with the same reputation. I just hope they keep on the straight and narrow instead of cutting corners like some manufacturers. Anyways, today at the range proved to me that I made the right choice when I went with PSA (i was trying to stay in a budget for my first build. I failed, but that's because of accessories. I would have failed MISERABLY had i opted to go with BCM or DD). With. the glass I have on it, a 4-12x40 vortex diamondback, and with no previous rifle shooting experience, I was shooting 1/2 MOA at 50 yards after only one magazine through the rifle.

After saying that, if I wasn't there, I would have a hard time believing it. I'll get the target from my buddies house for pictures, and it's the truth. This was shooting from a bench with a bipod, and it blew me away. I wasn't expecting that kind of accuracy out of my first build my first time out, maybe it was just beginners luck.

Anyways, my PSA defense rant is over. I agree with your decision on BCM, they are top tier in every way, and while I seriously consider PSA rifles high quality, with BCM you really get the whole package.

Mj, I have a feeling I'm am going to have to threadstalk you to defend my stance on PSA, just so there is some other opinions for those asking for them to read :P

As always, it's been fun
Man, at my HS the fat girls got plenty 'o love...

Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Todd, I have no problem w/ PSA and frequent their site thinking about getting one. A guy I have shot w/ owned a PSA Dissy and liked it, so I trust that they are good.

My reservations stem from some mistakes I've seen posted, such as misaligned feed ramps and various FTE's. I think it's a lack staff issue mixed w/ growing pains. I can imagine how hard it is to balance salaries in order to keep prices down. The more people the more overhead which usually translates into higher prices.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #34

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Todd, I have no problem w/ PSA and frequent their site thinking about getting one. A guy I have shot w/ owned a PSA Dissy and liked it, so I trust that they are good.

My reservations stem from some mistakes I've seen posted, such as misaligned feed ramps and various FTE's. I think it's a lack staff issue mixed w/ growing pains. I can imagine how hard it is to balance salaries in order to keep prices down. The more people the more overhead which usually translates into higher prices.
Maybe I just like razzing you a bit, ever think of that? :P

I respect your opinion, given that you seem to know your stuff. I havent heard of misaligned feedramps, do you know if they got that fixed up or is it still something we are seeing with new rifles from them?

Most of the PSA malfunctions I have heard of stem from out of the box new rifles that weren't serviced before being shot. Just what I happen to see a lot of.

Anyways, back to browsing for my next rifle.... m1a with troy MCS! The do it all rifle!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
Maybe I just like razzing you a bit, ever think of that? :P

I respect your opinion, given that you seem to know your stuff. I havent heard of misaligned feedramps, do you know if they got that fixed up or is it still something we are seeing with new rifles from them?

Most of the PSA malfunctions I have heard of stem from out of the box new rifles that weren't serviced before being shot. Just what I happen to see a lot of.

Anyways, back to browsing for my next rifle.... m1a with troy MCS! The do it all rifle!
You're not allowed to do that

I haven't heard anything further but I haven't really been looking lately.

The M14 in a Troy stock would be cool. The VLTOR version looks nice as well.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."