What would be AVOID to GOOD parts kits for Receiver Builds
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What would be AVOID to GOOD parts kits for Receiver Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default What would be AVOID to GOOD parts kits for Receiver Builds

Seen some AR's and their prices which turn me off, so I've been doing lots of reading up on lower receivers and their builds. I know I can do this, as I've done custom builds on Ruger 10/22 and 77/22 models along with their trigger assemblies, so looking at AR's and seeing videos on lower assemblies look like a breeze, so building my own AR really appeals to me while saving some money. What I'm wondering, as I've not seen it, is what "Lower Parts Kits" that go in receiver should I AVOID due to poor quality or machine making? In turn, what would be a GOOD/V-GOOD "LPK" to install, and what would be "TOP SHELF" parts kits to get if you want to spend for the best. Also what would be some of these prices between the avoids and good to top shelf kits. I mean if I have $30 and it will only purchase an AVOID parts kit, but $45 gets Very GOOD, while $55 gets a TOP SHELF parts kit, well then it would be foolish to spend $45 to only get a good kit, when $10 more gets the best kit. Also, please distinguish, between pricing and the kits as to whether it's a target/mil-spec/stainless or raw/hardened steel and if known, what trigger pull poundage it might be. It's also possible that springs in one kit is better than springs in other kit, if known, and can a person "Piece-Meal" together something from each Manufacturer, to make their own "Best Parts Kit" available? I'm looking at making a Very Fine Rifle at reduced cost, but give me MUCH BETTER performance and reliability, than what's in a mediocre costing rifle from store, that a person puts in new, better parts anyway. I like/use many different hunting/target rifles(bolt actions) with trigger pulls between 1# to 5#'s if that's possible, but with Semi's, that might be too dangerous and need to go up to 6-9# trigger pulls to be safe. Been around guns for past 50+years since I was 5yr old. I'm sure this would also help out other new AR potential owners as well. Thanks
Del

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

Around $80 can get you the best milspec LPKs like DD, LMT and G&R Tactical. I think Rainier is up there too. Stag/CMT kits are pretty good too, I've used three. PSA is the bargain for about $50. I've never used one but all reports here are good. In my experience Del-Ton and DPMS LPKs bring up the rear, very rough triggers and the pins are not the quality of others.

You didn't ask about RE kits but BCM has one of the best and PSA's is good and for a great price. PSA rolls the RE kit, Magpul STR or ACS-L stock and LPK into a kit on sale now for $150. Look around a couple recent threads for the links or just check out their site.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Why would you avoid good part kits?

I have an RRA single stage trigger parts kit in my AR. I'm still working on finishing the gun itself, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. BCM and PSA are more good ones.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 211 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I use PSA LPK. To me LPK is just a bunch of detents, pins, springs and fire control group. So what i did was, got the PSA classic LPK and ALG combat trigger. Then sold the PSA fire control group in ebay for $30 something.
As Q mentioned, yes PSA is having a super saving deals like STR or the CTR LPK kits including buffer assembly. I believe the CTR kit is sold out. I was and am still tempted to get the STR kit for any future build.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #5

BCM doesn't sell their own LPK separately but they do have Stag - and DD which may be out of stock.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
BCM doesn't sell their own LPK separately but they do have Stag - and DD which may be out of stock.
I never seen anyone selling DD LPK or stripped lower in stock, always out of stocks. Not even one online retailer.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
I never seen anyone selling DD LPK or stripped lower in stock, always out of stocks. Not even one online retailer.
Yeah DD LPKs seem to be hard to get lately. I got three at my LGS over the last year or so. (Last one two months ago and he's been out since then.) DD quit selling their stripped lowers in Dec 2010, right about the time I got their upper. Sometimes I kick myself for not getting their lower when I could but really don't need it now.

BTW, smart idea selling the PSA FCG on eBay!

______

Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

BTW, smart idea selling the PSA FCG on eBay!
Thx. Not only that, i sold my used DD FCG, A2 flash hider, Arsenal Saiga stock, grip and handguard and etc. I just like seeing things i don't use or won't ever touch again turned into $$$. Everything must go..go..go! Including my wife's old iPad, cellphones and bags. She was suprised too and quite happy.
forumrunner_20120622_155047.jpg  

Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #9

I should sell some stuff too. Tripping over a lot of junk.

______

Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I should sell some stuff too. Tripping over a lot of junk.
Yes u should and build another one.. special one!