Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What Type Of .223 Ammo To Buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 02:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

I checked on Wolf's website and their ammo is no longer laquer coated, it's polymer coated but they did away with the laquer because of the problems and dangers of it. I shoot all different kinds of ammo in my AR and have never had a problem. I also never put it away dirty, I clean it before I leave the range (backyard or friends farm). I like Remington UMC, though.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #12

Very true that Wolf does not put the lacquer type coating on their ammunition anymore. I'm still wondering why Hornady thought it would be a good idea to do it after Wolf got away from it. I also totally agree with you that cleaning (or not cleaning) your firearm has a lot to do with problems. I personally won't shoot steel ammo due to the lacquer problem with Hornady's stuff and the pressure problems with the casing in the chamber. I can't wait to see Hornady and Bushmaster point fingers at each other for this one. I'd be willing to bet the Police Department gets a new gun(s) and a bunch of ammunition for it.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default .223 Wolf

I have shot many hundreds of rounds of the Wolf 55 gr FMJ .223 "Military Classic" polymer coated rounds through my Colt SP-1, and many hundreds of the 7.62 x 39 Wolf MC polymer coated rounds through my (US made) Arsenal AK. I have not had any problems with either caliber (rounds or rifle). I think the laquer coating was a bad idea that Wolf moved away from and solved by use of the polymer coating. No doubt the AK is much more forgiving in terms of ammo, but the Wolf seems to function well in the Colt SP-1.

One of these days I hope to try the Wolf out in my RRA Elite-Comp (four months after ordering it and still waiting!).

I can tell no difference in the accuracy of the Wolf .223 when compared to my brass cased hand-loads.

I recently cranked up my old reloading gear, and loaded up the all of empty .223 brass that I had collected over the past seveal years. I found that I cannot re-load the brass cases for much less cost/round than I can buy the Wolf .223 in bulk. Consequently, I now have 1,000 rounds of Wolf .223 in my inventory.

IMHO, the Wolf (polymer coated) is an acceptable choice of ammunition for the AR.

TXnorton

Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Shoot all of the Wolf ammo you want through your AKs/SKSs you want, but I still would not run it through my black rifle. This is just my opinion. I bought bulk Federal for a very low price, and have been happy ever since. Ammo makes a huge difference in accuracy. I was shooting some cheap russian made stuff called Monarch, and my groups never got better than 3 inches, i switched over to the Federal and now my groups are less than an inch. Ammo makes a difference!!!!

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
Shoot all of the Wolf ammo you want through your AKs/SKSs you want, but I still would not run it through my black rifle. This is just my opinion. I bought bulk Federal for a very low price, and have been happy ever since. Ammo makes a huge difference in accuracy. I was shooting some cheap russian made stuff called Monarch, and my groups never got better than 3 inches, i switched over to the Federal and now my groups are less than an inch. Ammo makes a difference!!!!
Thank you for your service to our country. God bless you and your family.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmyrnaPD1243 View Post
I wanted to give some more insight into the steel casing/nickel plated ammuntion so you don't find yourself with a broken rifle. I am a police officer in Georgia and 2 days ago while the County SWAT team where I work was shooting their Bushmaster Ar-15's during a nightfire excercise. An officer had a malfunction where the trigger would not pull and the bolt was stuck halfway back. When a range master shined his light on the officer's gun, they discovered the bolt had blown in half and pieces of it had flown approximately 25 yards away. As of today, they still are unable to get the gun unjammed, even though it wouldn't be of use if they did.

With that said, they were shooting Hornady .223 Steel/Nickel Plated Ammo with the lacquer on it. There have been several documented instances of the lacquer on the ammo melting and solidfying inside the barrel/bolts/trigger assemblies of the weapons. There has been a long running dispute if it could cause a blow out due to pressure problems. Do I know it caused it for sure? No I don't, but we will know something shortly since Bushmaster and Hornady are both sending reps to the Department to figure out exactly what happened. There is one reason why we are using steel now when we didn't used to. It's just simply the overall shortage of ammo due to the war and rising costs. Will I ever shoot steel ammo again? Hell no! I'd much rather pay extra instead of risking a malfunction or worse. Just my two cents. Also I am attempting to obtain photographs of the rifle and I will post them ASAP.
I have heard of something like this happening in the past, where brass (and I use the term loosely) became "welded" in the chamber after the polymer melted. This, however, was in Casa Grande, Arizona, in June with an ambient temperature of 117 degrees, after the shooter had gone through several hundred rounds that morning. How many rounds were being shot in this night qual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmyrnaPD1243 View Post
I would be very careful shooting steel/nickel plated ammo. But if you have to shoot steel to save money, be sure you clean it after 50 rounds or you might have a bigger problem then finding ammo. If you go to the manufacturers website of the ammo you are buying, they have all the ballistics. As far as ammo choice goes with FMJ, Match Grade etc, it all depends on what you want to do.
I would say that 50 rounds is a little bit excessive, but it the idea is solid. The key is getting the chamber hot enough so the lacquer/polymer melts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I checked on Wolf's website and their ammo is no longer laquer coated, it's polymer coated but they did away with the laquer because of the problems and dangers of it. I shoot all different kinds of ammo in my AR and have never had a problem. I also never put it away dirty, I clean it before I leave the range (backyard or friends farm). I like Remington UMC, though.
Wolf Military Classic is lacquer coated...

Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #17

I don't have an exact number on the rounds, but the normal we shoot is between 300-500 a training session per person. I can't wait until we get the pictures in. A piece of the bolt embedded itself in a wall about 20 yards away from where the gun exploded. It's still amazing to me no one was even slightly injured. I also spoke to another one of the guys who said parts of the lower receiver were blown to bits too. To be more specific, the bolt release was blown off the gun. They still are unable to get the upper and lower separated, but I will get as detailed of photos as I can.