Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What are these worth?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernomic View Post
Would a completed rifle with a colt lower fetch more sale $ than one with a PSA? I mean obviously it would, but a significant amount?
I think so. But you never know, it depends on the prospective buyers. I don't know if I'd buy someone else's build but seeing a Colt rollmark would interest me and I'd suspect the rest of the parts are good. If I saw a Vulcan, Hesse or Blackthorne lower, well you get the picture.

(To me anyway) the real issue is what it's worth to me to have a rollmark I really like for my own build (since I probably won't sell one of my builds). I think it's worth kicking in an extra $30-50 or so to get something special on your lower, it tells the world that your build is something special. And think about it - an extra $50 is a drop in the bucket when you consider the cost of the whole rifle. Most of us waste more than $50 on something silly all the time so I don't mind dropping that much in a rollmark that gives a stamp of quality to my build.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If they are pre-ban (it matters on some states. CT for instance) they could be valued much higher.

Pre ban complete lowers can sell from $400-750 here. I saw one sell for $750 at a shop. Mine was about $600. I traded a Smith 686 revolver plus some cash for a pre-ban Olympic lower. That is the only way you can have a collapsable stock, flash hider, threaded barrel, and bayonet lug. Any post ban lower must have a muzzle brake pinned and welded and the stock pinned in place with the bayonet lug ground off.

I don't agree with it of course, but it is what it is for now. There are guys who will only buy pre-ban lowers so they are allowed to build without many restrictions.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Last edited by jamesb; 12-14-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #23

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
If they are pre-ban (it matters on some states. CT for instance) they could be valued much higher.

Pre ban complete lowers can sell from $400-750 here. I saw one sell for $750 at a shop. Mine was about $600. I traded a Smith 686 revolver plus some cash for a pre-ban Olympic lower. That is the only way you can have a collapsable stock, flash hider, threaded barrel, and bayonet lug. Any post ban lower must have a muzzle brake pinned and welded and the stock pinned in place with the bayonet lug ground off.

I don't agree with it of course, but it is what it is for now. There are guys who will only buy pre-ban lowers so they are allowed to build without many restrictions.
Well then that would change the whole equation for Ogre, transfer fees wouldn't matter much if you could sell your $150 lower for $400+!

And that's the problem when giving advice online - being in a free state I honestly don't know what goes on in ban states. I did know that in CA you can't have an AR-15 that's rollmarked "AR-15", Colt, ArmaLite or Bushmaster or anything not on the approved list but I don't know what goes on in CT.

Thanks, James - and Ogre, I guess you're back to verifying by serial numbers that these are both truly preban lowers. If you can't find an online SN database I bet Colt and Bushmaster can tell you.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-14-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #24

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, it sucks for us. Especially when you are trying to keep a build cost down but want a flash hider or collapsable stock. Only way to go is preban.

Note that many Colt's are banned by name here in CT. I'm sure some other states are the same way.

Now with that said OP if the Bushmaster is confirmed pre-ban I'll give you $200 plus fees for it

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb

This is what I was hoping for when I started the thread. I'll do some research on them and let you guys know what I find. :-)

Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #26

Interested in either and there are several states that a preban is a big deal like NY