Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What sling for and AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What sling for and AR?

Hey Folks. This may be my first post on this site. I see different styles of slings for different style of carry for AR's and I'm a little confused. Some attach at a single point, which seems kind of cool to me, and some are for "tactical" carry and something else I don't remember. Can anyone educate me on the various styles and their purpose?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2009, 02:12 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Couple of threads about htis subject in here, do a little search. First question from any of our guys will be "what are you going to use it for?"
Off your initial comment I would only say that a single point sling is not a good option for anybody. Can achieve the same effect with two point slings. Vickers makes a helluva sling. There are cheaper options that do just as well. YMMV

Old 04-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #3

I really don't know. What does anyone use an AR for? They punch paper at the range, hunt coyotes and repel Islamic terrorists. I didn't mean to give the impression that I wanted someone to tell me what to buy but I simply that someone might have a simple explanation of the different styles, their purpose and functionality just for a little education. (If history repeats itself I will probably end up with one of each.)

Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There are basically 3 types: A single point, a two point and a three point sling.

Read This and you will get a good understanding from one of the best, larry Vickers - Former Delta Plank Holder....

I have a single point AR sling for sale if you end up wanting one. I tried it, I didn't like it for me personally, but it might be for you...

JD

Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the VCAS sling from Blue Force Gear.

BLUEFORCEGEAR

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
There are basically 3 types: A single point, a two point and a three point sling.

Read This and you will get a good understanding from one of the best, larry Vickers - Former Delta Plank Holder....

I have a single point AR sling for sale if you end up wanting one. I tried it, I didn't like it for me personally, but it might be for you...

JD
I might be interested in a 1 point sling. If you don't sell it to this guy of course.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #7

I picked up a spec ops 3 point sling on a recommendation from a friend who used one in Iraq and on his personal AR.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Slings seem simple. If you do a search on a good gun forum, you will finds many posts and threads. ar15armory.com has 7 pages. m4carbine.net
has 13 pages. There are 3 pages here. The most practical way to research this topic would be to go to a range and watch other shooters and ask questions. That way you can get some hands on. I prefer quality leather for my hunting guns, two point nylon slings for my military style weapons, and single point for rifle caliber pistols. Have fun and good shooting !

Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #9

Dillinger, The link you provided was very informative, thanks. Big Gun show here in 2 weeks so I have a better idea of what I'll look for.