Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   What sling for and AR? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/what-sling-ar-12810/)

v-man 04-12-2009 01:27 AM

What sling for and AR?

Hey Folks. This may be my first post on this site. I see different styles of slings for different style of carry for AR's and I'm a little confused. Some attach at a single point, which seems kind of cool to me, and some are for "tactical" carry and something else I don't remember. Can anyone educate me on the various styles and their purpose?

hillbilly68 04-12-2009 02:12 AM

Couple of threads about htis subject in here, do a little search. First question from any of our guys will be "what are you going to use it for?"
Off your initial comment I would only say that a single point sling is not a good option for anybody. Can achieve the same effect with two point slings. Vickers makes a helluva sling. There are cheaper options that do just as well. YMMV

v-man 04-12-2009 02:48 AM

I really don't know. What does anyone use an AR for? They punch paper at the range, hunt coyotes and repel Islamic terrorists. I didn't mean to give the impression that I wanted someone to tell me what to buy but I simply that someone might have a simple explanation of the different styles, their purpose and functionality just for a little education. (If history repeats itself I will probably end up with one of each.)

Dillinger 04-12-2009 08:28 PM

There are basically 3 types: A single point, a two point and a three point sling.

Read This and you will get a good understanding from one of the best, larry Vickers - Former Delta Plank Holder....

I have a single point AR sling for sale if you end up wanting one. I tried it, I didn't like it for me personally, but it might be for you...

JD

Bighead 04-13-2009 04:44 PM

I like the VCAS sling from Blue Force Gear.

BLUEFORCEGEAR

Ubergopher 04-14-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 93924)
There are basically 3 types: A single point, a two point and a three point sling.

Read This and you will get a good understanding from one of the best, larry Vickers - Former Delta Plank Holder....

I have a single point AR sling for sale if you end up wanting one. I tried it, I didn't like it for me personally, but it might be for you...

JD

I might be interested in a 1 point sling. If you don't sell it to this guy of course.

Hunt SD 04-14-2009 01:49 AM

I picked up a spec ops 3 point sling on a recommendation from a friend who used one in Iraq and on his personal AR.

Carne Frio 04-14-2009 06:14 AM

Slings seem simple. If you do a search on a good gun forum, you will finds many posts and threads. ar15armory.com has 7 pages. m4carbine.net
has 13 pages. There are 3 pages here. The most practical way to research this topic would be to go to a range and watch other shooters and ask questions. That way you can get some hands on. I prefer quality leather for my hunting guns, two point nylon slings for my military style weapons, and single point for rifle caliber pistols. Have fun and good shooting ! :D

v-man 04-14-2009 11:14 PM

Dillinger, The link you provided was very informative, thanks. Big Gun show here in 2 weeks so I have a better idea of what I'll look for.