Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What sight to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default What sight to get?

I am not sure what sight to get, I am trying to decide between a regular iron sights(carry handle), a red dot, or a 1-4 power scope. The ar15 will be used from 25 or so yards all the way out to 300. I like how its easy to adjust the irons for distance with the knob at the bottom, but I like things about all of these sights. I will mainly be plinking with it but who knows, maybe hunting later on. What do you guys recommend for average use and what is most versatile? I am strongly considering the primary arms 1-4 scope or one of their red dots. I don't know of anyone who makes decent irons for an ar around 100$ so recommendations for that too would be nice.

Also, for the distance's I will be shooting should I zero it at 25 or 35 yards? I read that 25yds will be the close at 100yds and 35 yds close at 300yds?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 221 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 27

None of my RDS ARs are without irons. I prefer to have both. If set up right, they'll compliment each other just fine. The spendier flip Troys and Magpuls are both excellent. A set of them will run you $150-275. The budget minded DD fixed and Magpul MOE flip sights will run you about $100 for a set. And they're every bit as good as the more expensive options in my experience. That's why all five of my ARs wear either Magpul MOE or DD sights.

Where you sight in is about your own needs and preferences. Most of my ARs are sighted in around 50yds. Nothing scientific there, it just works for me.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I don't know of anyone who makes decent irons for an ar around 100$ so recommendations for that too would be nice.
Good options:

Magpul MOE Gen2- $90-110, all over the web (beware of PTS and knockoffs)

Daniel Defense fixed- $120

PSA- $90

Old 05-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 347 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 595

I carry all those sights sweeper listed. I run Magpul MBUS on my rifles.

As far as zero is concerned. I use an EOTech HWS so mine is sighted in at 50 yards. That 50 is also good for 200 yards.

NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #5

The upper has a fixed front sight so no need for a new one. I saw the Magpul, dd, and psa sights but figured a carry handle type sight would be sturdier? Is the dd or psa rear sight sturdier than the Magpul?

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5289 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 333

sturdiest rear sight are the magpul mbus2 polymer. thats what i use on my rifles. ive got a matech on my bcm carbine but i can only run it with my acog or the wife's aimpoint. if i use a scope its too tall.

my recommendation is the magpul mbus 2 polymer. cheap sturdier than any metal sight and very lightweight.

ive repaced my scar17 oem iron sights with the mbus2 front and rear.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
The upper has a fixed front sight so no need for a new one.
So wait...you're saying you only need a rear sight and were having a hard time finding one within a $100 budget? That's like saying it's hard to find a reliable new sedan for under $40K. (Please forgive my smartassedness)

My preference is a flip rear Magpul MBUS for $55 or so. Great sight. They're light, durable, affordable, and true. What else matters?

The Daniel Defense fixed rear runs about $70. It's also a fine choice and should get you lined up well with your front sight post and most RDS options. The PSA flip is rock solid for $50 or so, and can be parlayed with a decent RDS for $150.

Nothing wrong with the carry handle option. They work. If it's what you prefer, it's what you should buy. But carry handles tend to minimize the value of additional optics.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:56 AM   #8

Default What sight to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
So wait...you're saying you only need a rear sight and were having a hard time finding one within a $100 budget? That's like saying it's hard to find a reliable new sedan for under $40K. (Please forgive my smartassedness)

My preference is a flip rear Magpul MBUS for $55 or so. Great sight. They're light, durable, affordable, and true. What else matters?

The Daniel Defense fixed rear runs about $70. It's also a fine choice and should get you lined up well with your front sight post and most RDS options. The PSA flip is rock solid for $50 or so, and can be parlayed with a decent RDS for $150.

Nothing wrong with the carry handle option. They work. If it's what you prefer, it's what you should buy. But carry handles tend to minimize the value of additional optics.
I may have worded it wrong lol. I want to spend under 100$ on a rear sight, I have seen plenty under 100$ but I have seen a few over too. Around 50-60$ would be better. I like the carry handles sights because they are versatile and easy to adjust for multiple distances with the knob at the bottom. I have seen the Magpul was not sure about how nice they were. So I am trying to decide between the psa carry handle sight, psa flip up sight or Magpul mbus.

Last edited by beastmode986; 05-05-2014 at 03:00 AM.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5289 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 333

If your looking at it from a sole sighting solution I would go with this carry handle from rra http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 292 its more than a hundred but its the best there is.

They also have this http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 320 for just under 100

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 176 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
I am not sure what sight to get, I am trying to decide between a regular iron sights(carry handle), a red dot, or a 1-4 power scope. The ar15 will be used from 25 or so yards all the way out to 300. I like how its easy to adjust the irons for distance with the knob at the bottom, but I like things about all of these sights. I will mainly be plinking with it but who knows, maybe hunting later on. What do you guys recommend for average use and what is most versatile? I am strongly considering the primary arms 1-4 scope or one of their red dots. I don't know of anyone who makes decent irons for an ar around 100$ so recommendations for that too would be nice.
Also, for the distance's I will be shooting should I zero it at 25 or 35 yards? I read that 25yds will be the close at 100yds and 35 yds close at 300yds?
Thanks.
I don't know if this will help, but my setup is on a Colt Government Model so the carry handle is all I've got. I put an A.R.M.S. mount on it and use a 2x7 compact scope. My battle zero is 200 yds, so I'm about an inch and a half to 2 inches high at 100yds and about 2 to 3 inches low at 25 yards. It has worked well for many years and I like my optic on my AR. I loved my iron sights when I first got the rifle but once I put my scope on it, I never went back.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh