Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   What sight to get? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/what-sight-get-106736/)

beastmode986 05-04-2014 02:19 AM

What sight to get?

I am not sure what sight to get, I am trying to decide between a regular iron sights(carry handle), a red dot, or a 1-4 power scope. The ar15 will be used from 25 or so yards all the way out to 300. I like how its easy to adjust the irons for distance with the knob at the bottom, but I like things about all of these sights. I will mainly be plinking with it but who knows, maybe hunting later on. What do you guys recommend for average use and what is most versatile? I am strongly considering the primary arms 1-4 scope or one of their red dots. I don't know of anyone who makes decent irons for an ar around 100$ so recommendations for that too would be nice.

Also, for the distance's I will be shooting should I zero it at 25 or 35 yards? I read that 25yds will be the close at 100yds and 35 yds close at 300yds?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

sweeper22 05-04-2014 07:16 PM

None of my RDS ARs are without irons. I prefer to have both. If set up right, they'll compliment each other just fine. The spendier flip Troys and Magpuls are both excellent. A set of them will run you $150-275. The budget minded DD fixed and Magpul MOE flip sights will run you about $100 for a set. And they're every bit as good as the more expensive options in my experience. That's why all five of my ARs wear either Magpul MOE or DD sights.

Where you sight in is about your own needs and preferences. Most of my ARs are sighted in around 50yds. Nothing scientific there, it just works for me.

sweeper22 05-04-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986 (Post 1569825)
I don't know of anyone who makes decent irons for an ar around 100$ so recommendations for that too would be nice.

Good options:

Magpul MOE Gen2- $90-110, all over the web (beware of PTS and knockoffs)

Daniel Defense fixed- $120

PSA- $90

Argyle_Armoring 05-04-2014 07:39 PM

I carry all those sights sweeper listed. I run Magpul MBUS on my rifles.

As far as zero is concerned. I use an EOTech HWS so mine is sighted in at 50 yards. That 50 is also good for 200 yards.

beastmode986 05-04-2014 08:16 PM

The upper has a fixed front sight so no need for a new one. I saw the Magpul, dd, and psa sights but figured a carry handle type sight would be sturdier? Is the dd or psa rear sight sturdier than the Magpul?

JonM 05-04-2014 08:26 PM

sturdiest rear sight are the magpul mbus2 polymer. thats what i use on my rifles. ive got a matech on my bcm carbine but i can only run it with my acog or the wife's aimpoint. if i use a scope its too tall.

my recommendation is the magpul mbus 2 polymer. cheap sturdier than any metal sight and very lightweight.

ive repaced my scar17 oem iron sights with the mbus2 front and rear.

sweeper22 05-04-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986 (Post 1570172)
The upper has a fixed front sight so no need for a new one.

So wait...you're saying you only need a rear sight and were having a hard time finding one within a $100 budget? That's like saying it's hard to find a reliable new sedan for under $40K. (Please forgive my smartassedness)

My preference is a flip rear Magpul MBUS for $55 or so. Great sight. They're light, durable, affordable, and true. What else matters?

The Daniel Defense fixed rear runs about $70. It's also a fine choice and should get you lined up well with your front sight post and most RDS options. The PSA flip is rock solid for $50 or so, and can be parlayed with a decent RDS for $150.

Nothing wrong with the carry handle option. They work. If it's what you prefer, it's what you should buy. But carry handles tend to minimize the value of additional optics.

beastmode986 05-05-2014 02:56 AM

What sight to get?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 1570236)
So wait...you're saying you only need a rear sight and were having a hard time finding one within a $100 budget? That's like saying it's hard to find a reliable new sedan for under $40K. (Please forgive my smartassedness)

My preference is a flip rear Magpul MBUS for $55 or so. Great sight. They're light, durable, affordable, and true. What else matters?

The Daniel Defense fixed rear runs about $70. It's also a fine choice and should get you lined up well with your front sight post and most RDS options. The PSA flip is rock solid for $50 or so, and can be parlayed with a decent RDS for $150.

Nothing wrong with the carry handle option. They work. If it's what you prefer, it's what you should buy. But carry handles tend to minimize the value of additional optics.

I may have worded it wrong lol. I want to spend under 100$ on a rear sight, I have seen plenty under 100$ but I have seen a few over too. Around 50-60$ would be better. I like the carry handles sights because they are versatile and easy to adjust for multiple distances with the knob at the bottom. I have seen the Magpul was not sure about how nice they were. So I am trying to decide between the psa carry handle sight, psa flip up sight or Magpul mbus.

JonM 05-05-2014 03:13 AM

If your looking at it from a sole sighting solution I would go with this carry handle from rra http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 292 its more than a hundred but its the best there is.

They also have this http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 320 for just under 100

therukh 05-05-2014 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986 (Post 1569825)
I am not sure what sight to get, I am trying to decide between a regular iron sights(carry handle), a red dot, or a 1-4 power scope. The ar15 will be used from 25 or so yards all the way out to 300. I like how its easy to adjust the irons for distance with the knob at the bottom, but I like things about all of these sights. I will mainly be plinking with it but who knows, maybe hunting later on. What do you guys recommend for average use and what is most versatile? I am strongly considering the primary arms 1-4 scope or one of their red dots. I don't know of anyone who makes decent irons for an ar around 100$ so recommendations for that too would be nice.
Also, for the distance's I will be shooting should I zero it at 25 or 35 yards? I read that 25yds will be the close at 100yds and 35 yds close at 300yds?
Thanks.

I don't know if this will help, but my setup is on a Colt Government Model so the carry handle is all I've got. I put an A.R.M.S. mount on it and use a 2x7 compact scope. My battle zero is 200 yds, so I'm about an inch and a half to 2 inches high at 100yds and about 2 to 3 inches low at 25 yards. It has worked well for many years and I like my optic on my AR. I loved my iron sights when I first got the rifle but once I put my scope on it, I never went back.