Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   What should be in an AR spare parts kit? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/what-should-ar-spare-parts-kit-72346/)

JTJ 09-13-2012 02:36 PM

What should be in an AR spare parts kit?

Should I just buy an lpk or would I be better off with specific parts? I have a DPMS A4 that has been flawless but I am not a heavy shooter. Around 2k rounds so far. I will shoot about 100-200 rounds on a range trip.

AgentTikki 09-13-2012 02:51 PM

Firing pin. Bolt, extractor with pin and spring. Detents and springs.

fsted2a 09-13-2012 03:16 PM

I change my gas rings out every trip to the range. I would say add that to Tikki's list and be done. Keep your favorite lube on hand.

JTJ 09-13-2012 04:12 PM

Does any one put out a repair kit or do I just order the parts and make my own kit?

JonM 09-13-2012 04:28 PM

I keep an entire lower parts kit in a baggy and a complete bcg on hand.

sweeper22 09-13-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 939214)
I keep an entire lower parts kit in a baggy and a complete bcg on hand.

Pretty much what I've got. I have an extra LPK and a pair of extra BCGs. If you have a commercial grade AR15 BCG, it might not be a bad idea to upgrade it to M16 for $150, and then tuck the stock one away as a spare (the stock BCG may not be SHTF tacticool, but chances are it's a stout and reliable part).

If you contract BRD, you'll accumilate a healthy supply of extra parts whether you intend to or not.

fsted2a 09-13-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 939199)
Does any one put out a repair kit or do I just order the parts and make my own kit?

Contrary to what some will tell you, most parts in your AR will last until a couple years past doomsday. There are kits out there that have every spring and pin from the flash hider through the end of the buttstock; only a few of those parts will have significant wear after many thousands of rounds fired. The springs in your LPK will last until the second coming, so will your buffer spring. I have never heard of a takedown pin or spring wearing out. None of the parts in your rear iron sights will need to be replaced. Your front sight post will occasionally get bent.

purehavoc 09-13-2012 05:28 PM

I keep a couple extra parts kits on hand, Gas rings and a spare complete bolt.
I have found that its just best to keep a couple extra ARs around its much easier than changing out a part ;)

AgentTikki 09-13-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsted2a (Post 939146)
I change my gas rings out every trip to the range. I would say add that to Tikki's list and be done. Keep your favorite lube on hand.

Good call, but seriously every trip??? wow. I mean its a cheap and easy thing to replace but....I wait to change them every 3k rounds or so. My friend hasn't changed his in over 5k no issues so far.

but ya, gas rings are a must. Get them in bulk for cheap, I think brownell's has em for a good price...

AgentTikki 09-13-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 939289)
I keep a couple extra parts kits on hand, Gas rings and a spare complete bolt.
I have found that its just best to keep a couple extra ARs around its much easier than changing out a part ;)

show off :p