Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   what are the reasons for not liking the ak47 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/what-reasons-not-liking-ak47-70467/)

Hdq 08-16-2012 01:24 PM

what are the reasons for not liking the ak47

Please dont be cruel or harsh were all on the same team here we both like guns lol i would just like to know the reasons why ar guys prefer the ar over the ak :) please be nice.

mountainman13 08-16-2012 01:28 PM

Quality and nostalgia.

Dillinger 08-16-2012 01:49 PM

I like them just fine, I just don't own one because I prefer to keep my ammo needs more confined given the current political climate.

EW1066 08-16-2012 01:59 PM

It's not that i dislike the AK. I PREFER the AR. There is the fact that the AK was the weapon of choice for the forces that I trained to defeat. That fact makes me respect it as a weapon. I guess I feel as though the AR is the weapon I have stood behind (one way or another) my entire life. It has always represented the " GOOD GUYS ".

Who doesn't want the gun the good guys use?

EDUB

JonM 08-16-2012 02:05 PM

I dont like the round they shoot. The 7.62x39 doesnt lend itself well shooting much beyound 200yds (yes you can hit targets much further but you can do it with a 22lr too doesnt make it practical). It could be better but when you go modifying its properties you end up either with 556nato or 308winchester...

The ak platform you cant easily change barrels or modify the gun without a LOT of effort and expense. Some models take scope mounts but its of limited use due to the ballistic properties of the round.

If it used .308 instead of .311 diameter bullets it could be a MUCH better cartridge. There just arent any quality .311 bullets.

If they were in the price range of the mosin 91/30 it would be a much more interesting gun.

Hdq 08-16-2012 02:07 PM

Yea i agree i kinda dont like the fact that the ak47 is known as the bad guys gun. it is evil and mean looking i like that its tough and mean looking i just dont like how its associated with criminals and terrorist but is there any GOOD guy guns out there for under 1000$? I think im going to start a new thread ;)

AgentTikki 08-16-2012 02:25 PM

AKs are heavier. Ammo and fully loaded mags are heavier too. Ergos suck. Also here in kommiefornia, the magazine lock is extremely clunky and slow to manipulate.

You can get a colt, bcm, spikes, psa, s&w for under 1k.

jjfuller1 08-16-2012 03:14 PM

i own both. i like both. i prefer the AR due to familiarity, accuraccy, ease of swapping parts and accessories. when i want cheap make noise ammo gotta hand it to the ak. for fun i think its great. but for any other neeed give me an AR

tacticalfun 08-16-2012 03:27 PM

Commiw crap.

locutus 08-16-2012 05:47 PM

I own both. I like both. :D

but the AR is several orders of magnitude superior, IMHO.

The AR platform was designed as an all purpose infantry rifle. The AK was desgined, per Soviet military doctrine, for expendable troops supporting large armored formations.

The AR was designed with the idea of "to hell with the cost, get quality," the AK was designed under the doctrine of make it as cheap as possible but still reliable.

The AK is a pickup truck, and the AR is a sports car.:p