Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   At What Point Does It Become a Numbers Game? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/what-point-does-become-numbers-game-59403/)

mjkeat 03-04-2012 05:40 AM

At What Point Does It Become a Numbers Game?

I just got done reading a thread by a guy who makes a habit of flaunting the number of ARs he owns. At every opurtunity he posts pictures of his ARs even if the topic doesn't require such things.

My question, when does it become a numbers game? How many 5.56 ARs do you need before you have 1 for every possible niche/use.

EW1066 03-04-2012 06:11 AM

I would tell you 2. One can handle just about any situation except its own demise. So 2 is the magic number.... any more than that and your compensating for something else that is missing in your life.

My opinion YMMV

EDUB

Ranger-6 03-04-2012 06:17 AM

I don't get caught up with people boasting their numbers.
I have my guns and I like them all.
How every many guns someone has I hope they enjoy them.
I pay them no mind.

Axxe55 03-04-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 728265)
I just got done reading a thread by a guy who makes a habit of flaunting the number of ARs he owns. At every opurtunity he posts pictures of his ARs even if the topic doesn't require such things.

My question, when does it become a numbers game? How many 5.56 ARs do you need before you have 1 for every possible niche/use.

i think one would suffice, with maybe a couple of different uppers in various calibers. really how long does it take to switch out uppers? even two as the last member said would be enough. but if you got the money and that's what you want to spend it on, well that's their choice.

Quentin 03-04-2012 06:37 AM

Well to me one isn't enough, two would be the bare minimum as you could cover a lot of applications with two. Three, better still. I think I'll end up with four.

The argument of having multiple uppers is good except that you can build matching lowers for $200-250 each and have complete rifles. Right now I have four lowers and only two uppers.

ZombieKiller83 03-04-2012 07:27 AM

Well the fact that the guy keeps bragging about it, i would definately say he's trying too hard to be the "cool kid on the block". I could care less if someone had 120 AR's but if you start bragging about it and showing off, there's obviously some sort of compensation going on :rolleyes:.

robocop10mm 03-04-2012 09:13 AM

I have two. A rifle and a carbine. I would have at least one for each member of my party/group/family for teotwawki. More than 2 per is just silly and reaks of a disorder.

kenhesr 03-04-2012 11:06 AM

So lets assume that you like to build ARs and the money doesn't matter to you. To some people spending $5,000.00 is like the next guy parting with 50 bucks. Your lifestyle will expand to meet your income.

OK, now lets say you have 2 kids who like to shoot and when you build one for yourself, you just naturally throw one together for each of them. I'm not talking overnight here but after a decade or two you can end up with quite a pile of weapons, "Big Numbers".

Everyone that's into ARs needs a standard 16" & 20" rifle. Next you will need a 24" very heavy bbl varmint tack driver. You are allowed to stop your collection at this point, unless you are really into ARs.

You will probably want a standard rifle w/24" bbl, just because you don't have one.

Now you will need to get into the "odd-ball" stuff. Fun shooters, just not in 5.56.

Build a few under dedicated .22lr uppers like the CZ-V22 from back in the day. Put together some rifles in 9mm / 7.62x39 / 5.45x39 and anything else you like. If you have been building them for 30 yrs and you only do 3 per year, without really trying you have 90 rifles.

You can see where I'm headed with this. Thirty or forty ARs is not that hard for some people to accumulate over the years. If the guy is for real and into ARs, I can see where he might want to talk ARs at every opportunity.

mjkeat 03-04-2012 02:02 PM

I'll explain where I stand on the subject. I really like ARs but after 5 in 5.56 and a 300 BLK I'm struggling to rationalize more. When I see a guy boasting about 20 plus my first thought is why. It gets repetitive real fast but thought I might be missing something. Different cal is a different story plus there are so many great firearms out there why not branch out.

JonM 03-04-2012 02:18 PM

i could totally understand why if it was like 20 AR15 in different colors. that way you could have one to match any outfit you happened to pick that day.

right now ive got two. one is a colt sp1 which is more a collector item now than the shooter it used to be. the other is a rra lower with a few uppers to go with it. my wife has one complete ar15.

i would like to get one more complete rifle in 556 and one more lower to use as the host for various fun uppers. then i can leave my national match as a complete rifle.