what is pin size?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > what is pin size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default what is pin size?

Looking for a 2 stage trigger and came across a RRA and the question of trigger pin size, a standard or long, so whats the difference?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Are you sure it was standard or "long" and not "large"? Standard pins are .154" in diameter, but Colt in their infinite wisdom produced proprietary pins that were tagged "Large" at .171"

There are anti walk pins that have been seen to be too "long" for some lower receivers. There was a set of pins that I got one time, and the "C" clip pin was a little long and caused a wobble. I don't remember the brand, but I think they were from Brownells.

I haven't run across a situation where a longer than average pin was specifically needed.

JD

Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I believe Rock River has or used to have .155 pins, but I could be wrong. Standard size is .154. As Dillenger mentioned, Colt used to have .171.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-mark View Post
I believe Rock River has or used to have .155 pins, but I could be wrong. Standard size is .154. As Dillenger mentioned, Colt used to have .171.
I assembled a lower last year with a RRA LPK, and the pins are .155. No big deal. A little tighter, but a little lube and a tap and they go right in - at least in my Mega Gator lower.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Not sure for RRA. I had mine KNS anti rotating pins size 154 for my DD and Spikes lowers.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
I assembled a lower last year with a RRA LPK, and the pins are .155. No big deal. A little tighter, but a little lube and a tap and they go right in - at least in my Mega Gator lower.
The .155s are slightly oversized (.154 is standard). That can help keep them from walking out.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11490

I just realized that I have a problem because I have a trigger out of a Colt with the .171" pins and installed it in my JDM lower with .154" pins. Do I need a new trigger?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I just realized that I have a problem because I have a trigger out of a Colt with the .171" pins and installed it in my JDM lower with .154" pins. Do I need a new trigger?
I believe Colt's bigger pin size were for the Takedown and Pivot pins, effectively making it impossible for you to assemble an "other" lower and slap a Colt upper on it.

I am not a Colt expert (or fan ) so I can't say for certain but I do believe that they only did this on those two pins, for a short period in production time, and that it did not effect your other pins.

As such I believe you are good to go Viking - you can always check and see if the trigger has any slop to it. If you shake the lower and it rattles like a baby toy, you have a problem.

JD

Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #9

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
If the hammer/trigger pins are the large size they won't slide in a milspec stripped receiver. If they did fit you must have .154"pins from a fairly new or very old Colt.

ETA:
If you used small pins on the large hammer and trigger to make them fit then yes you have a problem.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-06-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #10

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

BTW, Colt went to the large pins before the 1994 AWB hoping to distinguish its commercial ARs from military/LE. Their argument was the large pin "sporter" models would not accept triggers and uppers from "evil" ARs. Didn't work of course and caused needless headaches. They went back to milspec size after the ban sunset.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.