Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What parts are critical to accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default What parts are critical to accuracy?

So I'm finally selling a bunch of high end stereo equipment that I'm never going to use, and I'm going to put the money towards an AR build. I'm finding great deals everywhere, but I'm wondering what parts I need to splurge on to get max accuracy.
Del-ton has some awesome deals. I'm looking at a 20" kit with chrome lined barrel, RRA 2 stage trigger LPK, m4 feed ramps, and pretty much everything else bargain parts.
Is there anything here I'm spending extra on that I don't need to? Anything I'm not spending extra on that I should?

Del-ton 20" rifle kit

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Last edited by TheDaggle; 06-15-2010 at 03:58 AM. Reason: add link

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Probably optics. Most garden-variety AR's with a 14" chrome-lined barrel is very accurate out of the box out to a couple hundred yards.

A 20" or longer chrome-moly match barrel will get you higher accuracy at longer ranges, which I assume is what you're after. The nicer trigger will only help. Not sure the feed ramps make much of a difference, honestly.

Match grade ammo will help. On that note, your barrel is 1:9 which might not be best for heavier match-grade rounds. 1:9 is good for 55gr (give or take). 1:12 is generally regarded better for heavier rounds.

Most rifles are capable of shooting better than the guy holding it, so expect to spend a lot of time at the range improving your shot.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Match grade ammo will help. On that note, your barrel is 1:9 which might not be best for heavier match-grade rounds. 1:9 is good for 55gr (give or take). 1:12 is generally regarded better for heavier rounds.
Sorry bkt, but you've got it backwards.
The 1:12 twist is slower and better suited for light 40gr up to 55gr bullets.
Alot of commercial varmint rifles carry this twist.
1:9 works great for 55gr and is typically thought to easily stabilize bullets up to 69gr. Some 9 twist rifles will work with up to 75grains, but don't count on it, you'd need to try for yourself as barrels are different and your conditions will be different.
If you want to shoot the long, heavy 69-80gr match bullets you would be better off looking for a faster 1-7 twist. This twist is what the military currently uses and will work well for 55gr bullets as well. It may be too fast for light 40gr

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Sorry bkt, but you've got it backwards.
The 1:12 twist is slower and better suited for light 40gr up to 55gr bullets.
Alot of commercial varmint rifles carry this twist.
1:9 works great for 55gr and is typically thought to easily stabilize bullets up to 69gr. Some 9 twist rifles will work with up to 75grains, but don't count on it, you'd need to try for yourself as barrels are different and your conditions will be different.
If you want to shoot the long, heavy 69-80gr match bullets you would be better off looking for a faster 1-7 twist. This twist is what the military currently uses and will work well for 55gr bullets as well. It may be too fast for light 40gr
Brain fart. Sorry. You're right. Heavier loads can handle the faster spin. Lighter loads require less spin. Duh.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

75gr is okay on most 1/9's out to about 200-300 yards. It's really out past that where you start needing to be sure and test. Anything below 300 yards isn't a good test of how well 75gr runs in your particular 1/9 barreled setup. I can't find a 75 grain round that acts any different then a 65-70 below that distance. Out past 300, I can see Hornady TAP loses some stability while the Hornady non-TAP 75's seems to stay pretty dead on. Sorry for the less the pro assessment, but that's just my limited experience with 1/9 and 75gr ammo. Need to test some more brands and flavors for a more thorough test.

Last edited by moshpit; 06-15-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #6

So chrome-moly barrels are more accurate, but chrome lined are more durable? Are m4 feed ramps a reliability plus?

Most importantly, del-ton is very affordable, but how is their quality? A complete kit minus stripped lower for under $600 is very attractive, but what am I sacrificing for that kind of a deal?

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Probably optics. Most garden-variety AR's with a 14" chrome-lined barrel is very accurate out of the box out to a couple hundred yards.
Duly noted. I was thinking I would get acquainted with the gun on irons, as I intend to put some significant money into a good scope, and that may have to wait until tax return season.

Quote:
Most rifles are capable of shooting better than the guy holding it, so expect to spend a lot of time at the range improving your shot.
Say it ain't so.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #8

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
So chrome-moly barrels are more accurate, but chrome lined are more durable? Are m4 feed ramps a reliability plus?

Most importantly, del-ton is very affordable, but how is their quality? A complete kit minus stripped lower for under $600 is very attractive, but what am I sacrificing for that kind of a deal?
Yes to both parts of your first question...

The second, M4 feed ramps are more reliable in M4/M4A1 carbines, especially in burst or auto mode with longer/heavier ammo, but not needed in the M16/20" rifles. M4 feed ramps probably don't make much difference in semiauto carbines or rifles but most of us want them anyway.

Del-Ton makes decent kits but I'd rather pick and choose components myself that are tougher. For about $750 or a little more you can do better if you research components and build your own.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

An extra question about those price-attractive Del-Ton kits is this:

I don't plan on buying optics any time soon, so should I just go ahead and get an upper with integral iron sights (the handle and the front riser)? OR should I get a flat-top upper and get MBUS back-up sights?

This thread is about best accuracy for cheapest cost, so I'm just looking from that perspective.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
I have a Del-Ton AR and the quality is very good. I paid $699 for the complete Rifle.
I have not had a problem with it at all. A big plus for me is that they are only 42 miles down the road from me.

I think you would be happy with the Del-Ton.