What optic?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What optic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What optic?

Have a LWRC M6A2 I will be using black hills 77gr OTM and want to shoot from 0 to 300 yards what would be my best choice in optic and mount.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2560 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

tyrant,

I guess my first question would be to give us a little more information on what you are looking at. Tactical or Precision shooting. Obviously there are a lot of fine holographic and reflex tactical type optics and mounts. And on the other end great applications for actualy scoping an AR Style Rifle with quality optics and mounts. Let us know where you are looking to go and I will throw our two cents in best I can.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 05-01-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5717 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

Since you're going to use a 77 grain bullet, I'm going to assume you want a precision shooter rather than a "run and gun' tactical rig.

Since you're asking about 300 yard shooting, a 6X should be adequate for power. I'd take a hard look at a top end 1.5-6X42 variable like the Swarovski or Schmidt & Binder.

They're not cheap, but absolute top end quality never is.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would like to use it for target and tactical I have been looking at a trijicon ta11h and also a aim point red dot I know one has magnification and one don't. I like the idea of a red dot and my range is only 300 yards so that is as far as I will be shooting but would like to also do run and gun. Here is a pic of my rifle.

image-70790406.jpg

Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My aimpoint t-1 has allowed me to reach out to 300 yards fairly easily. I mostly shoot up close and fast buy it was good to know I could hit a target at 300 with no magnification.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #6

OK, I was reading this and then went and looked up the Aimpoint T-1. Damn. Costs as much as my gun. What is the advantage in a high end sight such as the Aimpoint vs a lesser (cheaper) one?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
OK, I was reading this and then went and looked up the Aimpoint T-1. Damn. Costs as much as my gun. What is the advantage in a high end sight such as the Aimpoint vs a lesser (cheaper) one?
High quality optics often cost as much or more than the rifle they are attached to. If your sighting system fails, the weapon is useless. My favorite deer rifles wear Leupold optics that cost nearly as much as the guns.

You don't have to spend $1k, but if you spend $29.95 on a sight, you'll get what you pay for. If you are putting some sort of battery powered sight on your HD firearm, you want it to function flawlessly.

If you want to shoot MOA at 300 yards, you will need quality optics.

If you want to punch holes in Zombie targets at 50 yards, you can send less on optics and buy a couple of cans of ammo.

Nothing wrong with either choice, just depends on your specific plans and of course your bank account.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@ locutus,
MK262 is a selfdefense round. I understand why you think 77gr = target, but they have evolved since then. Read here ->http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/hist_mk262.html

@ tenntyrant,
I would get a Trijicon TA31 or TA01. Or even a TR24 if you are not worried too much about abusive enviroments. The TR24 is about as strong as any high end scope.... maybe more, but the TA31 ACOGs are much stronger and can take big time abuse. LaRue Tactical makes the best mounts for the TR24.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5717 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

Fixer, thanks for the link! Good info that I guess I hadn't kept up with. (I've used 55 grain M193 ball exclusively.)

Back to the optics. For tactical, that ACOG Ta31 would be unbeatable.

All three of my 5.56 AR platforms wear ACOGs. Again, not cheap, but well worth the expense.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Maybe the leupold hamr set up would be your alley. 4x if I'm correct and then it has the leupold delta point mounted on top. Same price range as a trijicon.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams