Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What Needs Replaced?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What Needs Replaced?

It's my own fault, I know. I trusted a friend's self-proclaimed expertise to do a "trigger job" on my S&W M&P 15 lower. I now get intermittent 2-round bursts. Looks like the hammer and disconnector got too close to the file and need replaced. Should that do it, or have any of you had to go further and replace springs, pins, or other widgets? I know it ain't fixed 'til it's fixed, but any words of advice or other things to look for? Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #2

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

If you are unsure of what your friend did then I suggest replacing the entire trigger group and springs. He may have altered the springs and reduced the trigger weight to unsafe levels or he may have shaved some metal off of the sear and disconnector. Either way you now have an unsafe gun, illegal if it truly "doubles" with a single trigger pull.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Those Wantabe gunsmiths will do ya every time.
Looks like a trigger overhaul to bring it back to factory specification.

Maybe, its just your touch and you need to practice to feel the new trigger pull.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Its difficult to say what needs to be replaced without knowing what he did. Your intermitent double taps could be the resualt of a few different things. It'd probably be best to replace your entire assembly and friend. just kidding.

Look up ALG triggers, trigger jobs by professionals.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For a good trigger get a rock river 2stage match trigger and get somebody that knows what they are doing put it in best for the money unless you want a giessel lot more money put its the best trigger close to 300.00 good luck CB

Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1003 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 390

A RRA 2 stage is very simple to install, just read the directions and DIY.

Unless you can negotiate with your LGS to install the trigger you just purchased from him for no extra cost.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAardvarks View Post
It's my own fault, I know. I trusted a friend's self-proclaimed expertise to do a "trigger job" on my S&W M&P 15 lower. I now get intermittent 2-round bursts. Looks like the hammer and disconnector got too close to the file and need replaced. Should that do it, or have any of you had to go further and replace springs, pins, or other widgets? I know it ain't fixed 'til it's fixed, but any words of advice or other things to look for? Thanks in advance.
my advice: dont let self claimed "experts" no matter how good a friend they are work your guns over. get rid of the trigger and hammer now as there have been incidents of the atf going after diy trigger experts trying to make guns go full auto. you dont want to get mixed up in that.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibb View Post
For a good trigger get a rock river 2stage match trigger and get somebody that knows what they are doing put it in best for the money unless you want a giessel lot more money put its the best trigger close to 300.00 good luck CB
Um.....only the High speed DMR and national match models are up there.

Your standard SSA can be found for $155 shipped.

And RRA 2 stage are a great alternative and can be found at a great price point. But they have a nasty reputation of doubling and going auto as they age.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #9

Thanks for the great responses. All suspect parts have been removed from lower receiver, filed to death, and discarded. Since I assembled the lower myself, and it worked fine, I'm going to reassemble it with new parts, accept whatever trigger pull I get, and not fix something that wasn't broken in the first place. No one but a licensed gunsmith will work on any of my firearms in the future. Potentially disastrous lesson learned. Thanks again; this is a great forum!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #10

http://www.algdefense.com/

Milspec triggers at very reasonable prices. $45 and $65. Made by Geissele.