What Larry Vickers Recommends in an M4gery
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

What Larry Vickers Recommends in an M4gery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1201 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 1238

Default What Larry Vickers Recommends in an M4gery

Saw this on another site and since we've been having a lot of questions this time of year on what are the best and most reliable ARs I thought I'd pass it on.

Though a little bit of a sales pitch on his sling, it's all good information. Hard to argue with LAV or Pat Rogers on what works. They've seen it all in their past lives and today's classes and recommend roughly the same brands.

US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And why not add what Pat Rogers has to say on the subject: (the main thing they diverge on is carbine vs. midlength gas system length on 14.5-16" barrels)

Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6792 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

i always weigh opinions of people who make their living off selling products or services based around the products or services they are giving opinions on with several hundred pounds of salt...

baasically it works like this: i will recomend your product(s) you recomend my services.

vickers isnt the first "expert" to go this route just a very long line of em. from jeff cooper to massad ayoob to jan libourel.

he may give good advice he may not but my point is any advice on products given where the giver has some sort of financial gain to be made from the purchase is to be taken with great caution.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You can take it to the bank that this is excellent advice.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'll take advice from either of these face shooters any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So then I guess I should sell my Barrett REC7 because it's not recommended by Larry Vickers....? I don't think so. Larry is well known and opinionated. What he says makes sense to a point - if you don't care to become knowlegeable yourself, do your own due diligence on the subject, and are afraid to make up your own mind.

As an example, Larry's comments on the 1911 and lawn mowers come to mind. I have a 12 year old garden tractor that probably looks and operates better than Larry's one year old car given how he apparently views the care and operation of power equipment -which only points to a personal problem on his part and not an endemic failing of either lawn mowers or 1911's.

I find Larry's comments amusing and inapplicable to me nearly 100% of the time. However, I always listen to or read what he has to say because you can, every so often, find a pearl among the fly specks if you have your information filter set correctly.

In the case of the AR15 recommendations, it looks and sounds like somebody caught him relatively cold and fairly unprepared to make a comprehensive presentation on the subject, so he named the manufacturers he's personally worked with - which should not be construed as a comprehensive list of AR's that are reliable, quality rifles - but only as a list that he could personally vouch for as he has worked with the specific products.

Ask me the same question about 5.56 rifles and I would name Colt, Barrett, FN, and Sig as the only manufacturers' products that I could personally recommend based on my experience. However, I could also give an expanded list of manufacturers that make quality products and should be evaluated prior to purchase. Les Baer, POF, Wilson, H&K, Knights Armament, and Noveske come to mind immediately as I have looked at and examined those manufacturer's products but have never shot them. I'm sure there are others that could be named, I've just never seen or used them.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; 12-10-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm not a worshiper of any man but when someone knows what they are talking about I listen. Both the men above are proven and well respected in the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have tried the LAV sling...it's a good one, for sure. It's not MY preference though...if it works for YOU...that has to be the yardstick you measure it by.

I prefer the 16" carbines...it is still a 300M rifle. I had my flirtations with 11.5 and 10.5 SBR's and found them to be lacking past 100M...and for the 10.5" guns, that was a stretch.

I'd go (and DO go) 16" for all-around general use and applications.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
So then I guess I should sell my Barrett REC7 because it's not recommended by Larry Vickers....? I don't think so. Larry is well known and opinionated. What he says makes sense to a point - if you don't care to become knowlegeable yourself, do your own due diligence on the subject, and are afraid to make up your own mind.

As an example, Larry's comments on the 1911 and lawn mowers come to mind. I have a 12 year old garden tractor that probably looks and operates better than Larry's one year old car given how he apparently views the care and operation of power equipment -which only points to a personal problem on his part and not an endemic failing of either lawn mowers or 1911's.

I find Larry's comments amusing and inapplicable to me nearly 100% of the time. However, I always listen to or read what he has to say because you can, every so often, find a pearl among the fly specks if you have your information filter set correctly.

In the case of the AR15 recommendations, it looks and sounds like somebody caught him relatively cold and fairly unprepared to make a comprehensive presentation on the subject, so he named the manufacturers he's personally worked with - which should not be construed as a comprehensive list of AR's that are reliable, quality rifles - but only as a list that he could personally vouch for as he has worked with the specific products.

Ask me the same question about 5.56 rifles and I would name Colt, Barrett, FN, and Sig as the only manufacturers' products that I could personally recommend based on my experience. However, I could also give an expanded list of manufacturers that make quality products and should be evaluated prior to purchase. Les Baer, POF, Wilson, H&K, Knights Armament, and Noveske come to mind immediately as I have looked at and examined those manufacturer's products but have never shot them. I'm sure there are others that could be named, I've just never seen or used them.
buckhorn_cortez, I'm curious what your credentials are. Honestly, at this point what you said just sounds like sour grapes because your believe your favorite piston flavor was slighted. So you don't like LAV to actually tell people what works in his experience, instead you'd rather have us all dump DI and 5.56 carbines?

Also, we're not talking about 1911s and lawnmowers or Glocks and lawnmowers. You don't have to like Vickers and Rogers but it wouldn't hurt to listen to what they say.