Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > what kind of ammo do you shoot in your AR's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Anyone shoot black hills 5.56?

Old 03-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

LOAD YOUR OWN it really is the only way to make it worth your while

Old 03-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw-15
Anyone shoot black hills 5.56?
I've put some threw my ar. Used to shoot a lot of blackhills through my kimber varmint rifle and always had one hole groups at 100 yards.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Old 03-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #24

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesterkiller View Post
LOAD YOUR OWN it really is the only way to make it worth your while
Absolutely. There is no question that AR-15 rifles act up more with steel cased ammunition than any brass cased ammo. Now you can argue until the cows come home that it should be able to shoot steel, but the fact is many don't. So the reasoning then becomes why take a chance on running ammunition that might cause reliability issues? It makes no sense. If your buying it because it's cheap you can save more by reloading, and at the same time not increase wear or decrease reliability. If you don't reload, and are stockpiling for SHTF or whatever, reliability should count most, so why go with steel?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Or you can get a fully functional rifle. A rifle that won't cycle steel is a compromise. It's just that simple. Why take a chance on an AR that doesn't function properly? It's not the ammo causing any reliability issues, it's the rifle. In most cases it's a timing or chamber issue.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
A rifle that won't cycle steel is a compromise.
No, the shooter using it is compromising quality for cheap, pure and simple. It's the only reason anyone shoots the crap. You yourself have admitted that. Now if you want to again contradict yourself, go ahead. The fact is steel offers nothing over brass cased ammunition except a minor cost savings. I, like many, am not interested in saving money by shooting filthy, inaccurate ammo out of an expensive rifle, that is going to do absolutely nothing better except cause potential issues. If that doesn't define false economy, I don't know what does.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think I will stop buying copenhagen and start buying brass haha

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
No, the shooter using it is compromising quality for cheap, pure and simple. It's the only reason anyone shoots the crap. You yourself have admitted that. Now if you want to again contradict yourself, go ahead. The fact is steel offers nothing over brass cased ammunition except a minor cost savings. I, like many, am not interested in saving money by shooting filthy, inaccurate ammo out of an expensive rifle, that is going to do absolutely nothing better except cause potential issues. If that doesn't define false economy, I don't know what does.
You are correct, I shoot it because it is cheap. It's not a contradiction. A fully functional rifle will run everything. If it doesn't there is something not right w/ the rifle.

What potential issues?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What potential issues?
The kind that started this thread.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

The kind that started this thread.
Nice answer. Sounds like an answer from someone that doesn't know as much as he wants us to believe.

An error from the manufacturer? Remember, let's stick to what we know.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-20-2012 at 02:52 AM.