what kind of ammo do you shoot in your AR's? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

what kind of ammo do you shoot in your AR's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556
Haha yeah cheap would be nice, its hard to afford buying ammo.

And to load 1000 myself would cost around 465.00 with cci primers, winchester bullets, remington brass, and accurate 2230

Can you shoot steel in 3gun? I'm looking to get into 3gun this summer.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams
Not on steel targets unless you want to buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Not on steel targets unless you want to buy them.
I'm sorry, I meant steel cased ammo.

What type of bullets do you use? HP's, softs, I don't want to seem dumb but what about frangibles? I know at some shooting courses they want you to use frangibles for rifle and pistols.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Old 03-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #13

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Tula and wolf here FMJ and HPs , I have ran some remington FMJ thru it but they didnt shoot that well in the accuracy dept

Old 03-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #14

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I no longer shoot steel in my AR's but that's an opinion. After 10 years my Bushmaster upper began having issues. It would fire and eject but not strip a fresh round from the mag causing it to close on an empty chamber. After eliminating the gas system "possible short stroke", and the mags as possible factors I put a micrometer on the lower bolt lug. I don't have the measurements with me now but it was significantly more worn than the other lugs. I also tried it with new gas rings and had the same problem. Reaplacing the bolt did the trick.

However, this bolt had fired over 10k rounds of which about 60% were steel. This could quite simply have been the life expectancy of the bolt but I also believe the steel cases contributed to additional wear.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
I no longer shoot steel in my AR's but that's an opinion. After 10 years my Bushmaster upper began having issues. It would fire and eject but not strip a fresh round from the mag causing it to close on an empty chamber. After eliminating the gas system "possible short stroke", and the mags as possible factors I put a micrometer on the lower bolt lug. I don't have the measurements with me now but it was significantly more worn than the other lugs. I also tried it with new gas rings and had the same problem. Reaplacing the bolt did the trick.

However, this bolt had fired over 10k rounds of which about 60% were steel. This could quite simply have been the life expectancy of the bolt but I also believe the steel cases contributed to additional wear.
I had a worn bolt in a rifle with over 10k through it, it must be the ammo . Just giving you crap. It sounds like you got a good amount of life out of that bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-16-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8183 Times on 4474 Posts
Likes Given: 7965

99 percent reloads. 55 grain Remington bullets (M193 ball) Remington 7 1/2 primers and H335 (or 2230) powder.

I've also shot quite a bit of Wolf steel case with no problems.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1238 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 1282

Mostly steel here too. I'm happy with it and keep buying when the price is right.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #18

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I had a worn bolt in a rifle with over 10k through it, it must be the ammo . Just giving you crap. It sounds like you got a good amount of life out of that bolt.
Yeah, it served well. I really did not expect the new bolt to work. Just could not believe that it could be so simple but I slapped it into the original bolt carrier and ba bing. Right back to zero malfunctions.

I did buy a complete reacement upper anyway, mostly because I was sick of the muzzle brake on my bushy.

So now I've got that Old bushy as an extra upper and am thinking of building a pistol AR with it. Wonder if I can get a pistol barrel in something fat, like a .50 B Wolf?

Tack

Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #19

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I role my own. Different loads for different weapons. They will all interchange for the most part. I do make some special stuff for selected weapons, my 1 in 14 twist bolt doesn't like long bullets. But in a pinch, all's fair.

OSOK

Old 03-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #20

I like the 69 grain Nosler custom comp bullets with cci 450 primers and 23.7 grains of Ramshot powder