what kind of ammo do you shoot in your AR's?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > what kind of ammo do you shoot in your AR's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default what kind of ammo do you shoot in your AR's?

Hey guys, wondering what kind of ammo you guys shoot through your ar's. Id like to start bulking up on ammo for shtf purposes and I'm a firm believer of quality before quantity. I have a DD and only shot brass cases through it, would steel be rough on it? I've been thinking about getting an ak so I can bulk up on ammo because tula and wolf is quite cheaper. What do you guys think? Should I just keep saving pennies and buy brass ammo to store or go with steel? Or what about the coated steel?

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 AM   #2

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have been shooting Wolf and Golden Bear ruski steel cased ammo through my Colt 6940 for 2+ years with no issues.

Tell you what, keep shooting the expensive brass ammo and leave the steel ammo for me.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5811 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

i load my own. cheaper than buying wolf

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I have 350 rounds of Blackhills ammo in 69 grain for my 1:8 twist and 1000 in hard ball federal 55 grain cheap FMJ . I have often wondered on the steel case ammo my self as the price is cheap, so I am interested in the answers you receive. I do believe that the ballistics on the BH is very good and should offer one shot stops on human targets if necessary, as long as there is no heavy armor. They are OBT with canular crimp offers stability of the bullet in the case when battered back and forth in the magazine when firing. I bought this federal 55 grain because of price and it does go bang, I would not want to get hit with either one.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm hoping to talk my brother into go halves for a progressive press. I got all the equipment in the basement and I should really start reloading.

I'll keep my options open and maybe some testing this weekend

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Old 03-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Cheap ammo, lots of cheap ammo. My guns cant get enough of Silver Bear, Golden Bear and BVAC

Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A Daniel defense should eat any ammo you can find. I would buy some wolf or Tula or any other cheap stuff you can find. Start with a box or 2 to make sure it functions and if it does then start stocking up.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #8

I shoot mostly Tula steel case ammo through my AR and my AK. Never had a problem.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I shoot steel, Tula and Wolf. I will admit i have decided not to shoot steel out of the SS barrel. It is going to be my 3Gun rig for now. The CHF and chrome lined barrels will continue to be fed steel though.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Haha yeah cheap would be nice, its hard to afford buying ammo.

And to load 1000 myself would cost around 465.00 with cci primers, winchester bullets, remington brass, and accurate 2230

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
I shoot steel, Tula and Wolf. I will admit i have decided not to shoot steel out of the SS barrel. It is going to be my 3Gun rig for now. The CHF and chrome lined barrels will continue to be fed steel though.
Can you shoot steel in 3gun? I'm looking to get into 3gun this summer.