What is a good AR for a smaller shooter
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What is a good AR for a smaller shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Default What is a good AR for a smaller shooter

So... as many of you have read in my earlier posts I am getting married in January and my groomsmen are buying me my LE6920 for my wedding gift. It will be my first AR and I am super excited but the fiance found out about this and now she wants one too lol. On a serious note I want to buy one for her. Im 6'3 and 320 and go shooting regularly but she is 5'3 and 110 and shoots maybe bi-monthly(mostly pistol and hates my 338 savage but loves my 22lr) what do you all recommend for a less experienced shooter thats smaller in size (I say that cause shes not a huge fan of recoil) but something she can enjoy taking out to the range with us. Or maybe a different platform all together? I dunno what do you think.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Well a .223 or 5.56 has little to no recoil. So that should be taken care of. (My wife is the same way she hates my 30-06 but I can't git any range time with my AR bc she won't put it down.) as far as her size go with a carbine length. My wife is also 5'3" she has no problem with it at all. It also is not bad for me. I am 6'2" I just have to extend the stock.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #3

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBofAZ View Post
So... as many of you have read in my earlier posts I am getting married in January and my groomsmen are buying me my LE6920 for my wedding gift. It will be my first AR and I am super excited but the fiance found out about this and now she wants one too lol. On a serious note I want to buy one for her. Im 6'3 and 320 and go shooting regularly but she is 5'3 and 110 and shoots maybe bi-monthly(mostly pistol and hates my 338 savage but loves my 22lr) what do you all recommend for a less experienced shooter thats smaller in size (I say that cause shes not a huge fan of recoil) but something she can enjoy taking out to the range with us. Or maybe a different platform all together? I dunno what do you think.
The good news for you is that the 6920, like a lot of AR15s has a collapsible stock. So it will fit just about anyone, some more good news, the 5.56/223 round has VERY little recoil, it's almost non-existent.

It's a fine rifle and should suit you both, congrats.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988

The good news for you is that the 6920, like a lot of AR15s has a collapsible stock. So it will fit just about anyone, some more good news, the 5.56/223 round has VERY little recoil, it's almost non-existent.

It's a fine rifle and should suit you both, congrats.
That truly sounds like awful news haha neither one of us share well lol and after my furniture, optics and a few other things the weight will be a bit high for her I was thing a stock Windham

Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
That truly sounds like awful news haha neither one of us share well lol and after my furniture, optics and a few other things the weight will be a bit high for her I was thing a stock Windham
No experience with Windham, but I've heard good things, DPMS makes a decent rifle as well. I'd steer clear of Bushmaster though, they are an overpriced DPMS

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My wife (5'1") likes the Magpul K grip. Its smaller diameter, and the grip angle is more suited to shooters with shorter arms. Other than that a smaller diameter handguard for the support hand is all you can really do. Of course lighter is better, but then there's more felt recoil, so get a nice brake.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
My wife (5'1") likes the Magpul K grip. Its smaller diameter, and the grip angle is more suited to shooters with shorter arms. Other than that a smaller diameter handguard for the support hand is all you can really do. Of course lighter is better, but then there's more felt recoil, so get a nice brake.
Firsr of thank you for spelling brake properly ive read many threads on here with break lol anyways magpul k grip check any thoughts on the Windham?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #8

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Firsr of thank you for spelling brake properly ive read many threads on here with break lol anyways magpul k grip check any thoughts on the Windham?

Yep, you want to brake the muzzle not break the muzzle!

Since you haven't gotten a reply yet I'd say at the cost of a Windham you can get something much better. PSA immediately comes to mind.

Windham may end up doing a better job down the road but today they cut corners by using a commercial receiver extension, and that brings up the question - what else do they do or not do? I'd let someone else deal with them. Any manufacturer that uses that extension (when the milspec version is almost the same price) is not one that's gonna get my money.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-27-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2736 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Collapsible stock. Lightweight 16" barrel. HEAVY BUFFER. This will tame the gun quite a bit.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball