Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What Gas Block do I need?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What Gas Block do I need?

I have a AR-15, 16" rifle, chambered for .223 wylde. It has a stainless steel barrel. To get rid of the front iron post, I need a new gas block to take its place obviously, but I am still a little confuses on what size gas block I need, or if I need anything special. Any help would be appreciated and if you need any more information please tell me (post it) or send me a private message.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

If I am understanding your question you are asking what diameter gas block?
Check the specs for the barrel. From what I recall a so-called pencil profile is .625, a standard barrel is .750 and a bull barrel is .960? My memory is not 100% so hopefully someone will have a more definitive answer. Any markings on the current block? Do you have the barrel specs?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #3

"Barrel: 16", Stainless Steel, Midlength, 223 Wylde chamber with a 6-groove, 1:8 right hand twist, mid-length gas port, and M4 feedramps. Barrels are finished off with a taper pinned, f-marked, front sight post, MOE handguards, and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, MPI and HPT. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside, and laser engraved with the Palmetto State Armory logo"

These are all the specs I could dig up on exactly what my gun is, I understand about 3/4 of what it is, but if theres somewhere where I can look to find out what it is, I have no problem disassembling and re-assembling. After all it was shipped to me with nothing but pins and springs. I assembled it all myself.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:59 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbeans194 View Post
"Barrel: 16", Stainless Steel, Midlength, 223 Wylde chamber with a 6-groove, 1:8 right hand twist, mid-length gas port, and M4 feedramps. Barrels are finished off with a taper pinned, f-marked, front sight post, MOE handguards, and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, MPI and HPT. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside, and laser engraved with the Palmetto State Armory logo"

These are all the specs I could dig up on exactly what my gun is, I understand about 3/4 of what it is, but if theres somewhere where I can look to find out what it is, I have no problem disassembling and re-assembling. After all it was shipped to me with nothing but pins and springs. I assembled it all myself.
Unless its a bull barrel my guess is .750" as it's the most common, but a set of calipers would settle the issue in a few seconds. Measure at the base of the gas block.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-05-2011, 04:19 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Shave the original down and you'll have one of the most secure low profile gas blocks available and extra money in your pocket.

A pinned gas block is the best way to go.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #6

Liked 946 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 940

I guess the question "why do you want to remove the FSB" also is in order. Do you think it'll interfere with a scope? Lots of people do this then are sorry later.

If you're installing a rail then shaving down the FSB but keeping its gas block like MJ said is a smart way to go.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.