What are the errors here (Jam explosion) - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What are the errors here (Jam explosion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3357 Times on 1738 Posts
Likes Given: 354

#1. It is called a FORWARD ASSIST, not a forward FORCE! The heel of your hand should never contact the forwad assist. Think of it as a thumb button. As jjfuller pointed out, it helps lock the bolt when the action was cracked open. In the jungle, the rifle can become submerged in water. To drain the water from the barrel and gas tube, one must poinit the muzzle down and crack open the bolt breaking the seal. To get the bolt to lock, you must use the forward assist to HELP.

Anyone who told you to "slap" it closed with the heel of your hand is not your friend.

I saw a Colt A-3 come apart like that several years ago. Our investigation surmised it was caused by an improperly handloaded cartridge.

One mistake that can cause doom to any rifle is failure to trim the brass. 5.56 brass is on the long side when new. Once fired, resized, WAY TOO LONG. Long case jambs into the forcing cone causing pressures to sky rocket in a millisecond. You will not see a catastophic failure like that from just an over charged round. There is not enough room in the case to put that much powder in (assuming a proper powder for the case).
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I have never in my 30+ years of shooting seen a squib in person until this weekend. We had our IL CCW class and I was helping on the firing line since we had 42 people to zip through . I was watching my end of the firing line and I heard a PSSSHHHHH two people down . The guy knew he had a malfunction and they were instructed in the class to stop and raise their hand if they had a malfunction and we would come assess the situation . I took his firearm , opened the cylinder and sure enough a big wad of wet powder just inside the bore and a .38 hunk of lead in the barrel about .75" up the barrel . Everyone was supposed to be using factory ammuntion and this guy decided to sneak in a few of his own rounds he hand reloaded back in 1978 ???? WTF . The instructor could have sent him packing but let him off the hook . IT really could have been a mess . The guy in the above video had someone looking over his shoulder several times . but if you continue to be a dumb ass what can you expect . If you have a issue like above with the AR it takes 10 seconds to push out the pin pull the BCG and give it a visual inspection . Stupid is as stupid does .
So will dumba$$ be using reloads to defend himself too, or did he get the picture? Did he at least yell 'Bang?'
People Like This 
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

Would call to your attention- In a GAS operated automatic, IF the bullet does not make it beyond the gas port, then the action will not cycle semi-auto, since no gas made it to the moving parts.

IF you fire, round does not eject, you MANUALLY eject it, and there is no bullet in the cartridge case- STOP RIGHT THERE. Odds are very high that you have a bullet lodged between chamber and gas port. Fire a live round with a bore obstruction, and it will not end well.

Unless I am in a firefight with the 3rd Godless Horde (Mechanized), I will stop and run a rod down the barrel to determine if it is clear.

And a question- show of hands, please- how many of you go to the range WITHOUT A ROD IN YOUR RANGE BOX? God knows enough folks have asked to borrow one of mine over the years.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #24

Liked 1244 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Would call to your attention- In a GAS operated automatic, IF the bullet does not make it beyond the gas port, then the action will not cycle semi-auto, since no gas made it to the moving parts.

IF you fire, round does not eject, you MANUALLY eject it, and there is no bullet in the cartridge case- STOP RIGHT THERE. Odds are very high that you have a bullet lodged between chamber and gas port. Fire a live round with a bore obstruction, and it will not end well.

Unless I am in a firefight with the 3rd Godless Horde (Mechanized), I will stop and run a rod down the barrel to determine if it is clear.

And a question- show of hands, please- how many of you go to the range WITHOUT A ROD IN YOUR RANGE BOX? God knows enough folks have asked to borrow one of mine over the years.
Number one answer.. And yes I do have a cleaning rod with me at the range. Hehe
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #25

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I have never in my 30+ years of shooting seen a squib in person until this weekend. We had our IL CCW class and I was helping on the firing line since we had 42 people to zip through . I was watching my end of the firing line and I heard a PSSSHHHHH two people down . The guy knew he had a malfunction and they were instructed in the class to stop and raise their hand if they had a malfunction and we would come assess the situation . I took his firearm , opened the cylinder and sure enough a big wad of wet powder just inside the bore and a .38 hunk of lead in the barrel about .75" up the barrel . Everyone was supposed to be using factory ammuntion and this guy decided to sneak in a few of his own rounds he hand reloaded back in 1978 ???? WTF . The instructor could have sent him packing but let him off the hook . IT really could have been a mess . The guy in the above video had someone looking over his shoulder several times . but if you continue to be a dumb ass what can you expect . If you have a issue like above with the AR it takes 10 seconds to push out the pin pull the BCG and give it a visual inspection . Stupid is as stupid does .
He would have been sent packing if I was the boss. Lesson learned, maybe??

Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #26

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post

Number one answer.. And yes I do have a cleaning rod with me at the range. Hehe
+1 always have a cleaning rod and shell extractor just in case something goes wrong.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #27

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

What an idiot; it would've been worth the time trying to see what went wrong rather then have your gun blow up.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #28

Liked 1150 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
He would have been sent packing if I was the boss. Lesson learned, maybe??
I doubt it , I know the guy and he will probably shoot the rest of them and hope he doesnt have a oops

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 10-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #29

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Scary. If I was him I at least would have checked the case he ejected to see if there was a bullet still seated.
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #30

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

is it just me or does he pull his charging handle back too many times?

either way, when I see a nervous acting dude like this I stay the hell away, or in the case of RSO duty, ask him to settle the f*&k down