What are the errors here (Jam explosion) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What are the errors here (Jam explosion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Why are they on all the top tier ARs and what is their proper use? I've never had to use mine.
IIRC my history correct, the very first AR's never had a forward assist. it was added after they had all th problems with the first AR's due to powder fouling and not being supplied with cleaning kits. they wouldn't chamber a round, so they added the forward assist to help chamber a round when it was filthy with powder deposits, so the soldier could keep firing, by just pushing the round into the chamber with the forward assist.

i think they are just a holdover from the fact they have been there for so many years now. i have never used mine either, but i do keep mine clean and oiled.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
IIRC my history correct, the very first AR's never had a forward assist. it was added after they had all th problems with the first AR's due to powder fouling and not being supplied with cleaning kits. they wouldn't chamber a round, so they added the forward assist to help chamber a round when it was filthy with powder deposits, so the soldier could keep firing, by just pushing the round into the chamber with the forward assist.

i think they are just a holdover from the fact they have been there for so many years now. i have never used mine either, but i do keep mine clean and oiled.
Yup..Feed issues in early AR rifles led to the addition of the FWD asst.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #13

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Yes the early fouling issues were the reason for the addition if the forward assist. Earlier rifles like the M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, and M14 had charging handles attached directly to the bolt carrier and worked as a forward assist if a round failed to go fully home. Happened every once in awhile with Garands when riding the bolt home to avoid getting the thumb smashed when charging with en bloc clips. A quick smack on the charging handle would correct the situation from trying to nanny it forward. The AR doesn't have that ability with the floating charging handle.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

also the forward assist helps close the bolt quietly, or if you make a small brass check. i have used mine many times before. but in a failure like that in the video its not a good thing to assume it will help the situation.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
robocop10mm Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Anytime you have to manually eject a round on any semi auto firearm, you should check the bore for an obstruction. Have had to do so twice. Once with reloads, no powder in the case(my fault, was reloading, wife distracted me, wound up skipping a round.), and once with factory ammo, (same thing, no powder). The primer on almost all ammo is strong enough to push the bullet into the bore.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Bad reloads....

I don't need No stinking signature.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Bad reloads....
that was my impression as well. i heard several times the rounds hitting the bench when he ejected the ones that didn't fire. the one that blew up might have been overcharged or the one before it was a squib load.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

that was my impression as well. i heard several times the rounds hitting the bench when he ejected the ones that didn't fire. the one that blew up might have been overcharged or the one before it was a squib load.
Exactly my thought. Thanks for doing the typing. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Exactly my thought. Thanks for doing the typing. Lol
you're welcome! just trying to help!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #20

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have never in my 30+ years of shooting seen a squib in person until this weekend. We had our IL CCW class and I was helping on the firing line since we had 42 people to zip through . I was watching my end of the firing line and I heard a PSSSHHHHH two people down . The guy knew he had a malfunction and they were instructed in the class to stop and raise their hand if they had a malfunction and we would come assess the situation . I took his firearm , opened the cylinder and sure enough a big wad of wet powder just inside the bore and a .38 hunk of lead in the barrel about .75" up the barrel . Everyone was supposed to be using factory ammuntion and this guy decided to sneak in a few of his own rounds he hand reloaded back in 1978 ???? WTF . The instructor could have sent him packing but let him off the hook . IT really could have been a mess . The guy in the above video had someone looking over his shoulder several times . but if you continue to be a dumb ass what can you expect . If you have a issue like above with the AR it takes 10 seconds to push out the pin pull the BCG and give it a visual inspection . Stupid is as stupid does .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Axxe55 Likes This