What are the errors here (Jam explosion)
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What are the errors here (Jam explosion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
CJx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default What are the errors here (Jam explosion)

Found this video, and I want to diagnose what this guy did so terribly wrong. This is what I see

-On the first click, he racks the charging handle back, does not seem to inspect the barrel for obstruction
-Then he releases the charging handle and smacks the forward assist, not quite sure what that does but I think it could jam a misfed round into the barrel
-On the other clicks he really does not check if the barrel is clear, he just racks the charging handle and then slaps the forward assist.

So I think by not checking the barrel for obstruction and slapping the forward assist, he jammed a round in the barrel and then ended up bringing another round up, and they blew up, or something like that.

-And then there is the fact that the dummy who was next to him was not wearing any eye protection. What if he was next to the gun, like he was, when it blew up, not sure though.

I'm sure I missed many points, and I'm interested to know, how did this guy f*** up so badly?

Last edited by CJx; 10-20-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #2

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts

I'm guessing a squib load became stuck in the rifling, hence his need to manually eject the spent casing. The primer charge by itself was not enough to eject the case. He then chambered another round behind the plugged barrel and there you have it.

Just a guess.
nitestalker Likes This 
Old 10-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
CJx

Also you can tell he is trying to be the badass on the range, fixin the jam all hastily trying to be Mr. Cool.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1 View Post
I'm guessing a squib load became stuck in the rifling, hence his need to manually eject the spent casing. The primer charge by itself was not enough to eject the case. He then chambered another round behind the plugged barrel and there you have it.

Just a guess.
Damn, how would you know if that happened? That's kind of a scary thought because I don't see any way of knowing if a bullet is stuck inside the barrel.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #5

It is extremely important to unload and check any firearm if you hear the ppffffttt sound of an uncharged cartridge. If this guy was shooting reloads, my guess is this is what happened.

One time after a coyote stand my buddy ejected a live round as we usually do before driving to the next stand. Powder went everywhere. The factory varmint bullet had set itself back into the case. The neck tension was not strong enough to hold onto the bullet.(possibly from loading and unloading the same cartridge multiple times) I can only imagine what would have happened if we saw a coyote on that stand. Since this happened, we gradually feed our first round and use the forward assist to get it into battery. This minimizes enertia generated setback issues and allows a quieter entry into the field. We also rotate ammo in the mag to keep from loading and unloading the same cartridge too many times.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx
Damn, how would you know if that happened? That's kind of a scary thought because I don't see any way of knowing if a bullet is stuck inside the barrel.
Considerably less recoil and noise accompanied by a failure to eject I suppose. It's never happened to me so I can only hope I would recognize it. If one reloads long enough, encountering a squib is likely. It's why I shake and listen for powder in every finished round before putting it in my storage containers.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The last round before swapping magazines did not eject. This wanna be "Mall Ninja" should have checked the bore before recharging the rifle. The rifle had a bullet stuck ahead of the chamber. He had to slam it before he could chamber another round. How many warnings did the gun gods owe this idiot?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

Liked 1244 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Just goes to show any malfunction requires thorough inspection of firearm. And also that Tap, rack, bang is a drill only for use in combat. I had a hard time re-training myself to stop doing it.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
fail to fire, use a rod or visually inspct the bore. everytime. true for any gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
Just goes to show any malfunction requires thorough inspection of firearm. And also that Tap, rack, bang is a drill only for use in combat. I had a hard time re-training myself to stop doing it.
tap rack bang drill will get ya killed hurt or gun destroyed as in the vid.

if your ar15 needs to have the forward assist used it means something is blocking the bore. NEVER use a forward assist for chambering a round.

first one got stuck further fail to chambers kept driving the stuck bullet deeper until finally the bolt closed enough to kaboom the gun.

ive got a deep hatred for forward assists.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #10

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

ive got a deep hatred for forward assists.
Why are they on all the top tier ARs and what is their proper use? I've never had to use mine.