What does an ar15 need or not need to be an assualt weapon in CA - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What does an ar15 need or not need to be an assualt weapon in CA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The situation warrants how the state of california defines "assault rifle".
We don't need another of these tomayto/tomahto threads.

The man wants an AR in california and wants to be legal.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #12

Not sure why you are jumping on me Trip, I did give the OP the answer to his question in Post #2 of this thread - have a look. Referred him to CALGUNS as well which is the best source of information about firearms in California. The OP would benefit from spending some time there as unfortunately our firearms laws can be a little convoluted.

So am I to conclude that the folks here believe that it is in fact a felony to build an assault rifle in any state in the United States? At a minimum that is a vague statement that hinges on the legal definition of "assault rifle" which varies from state to state. I have a few AR's in my safe that are perfectly legal, and when I show them to many people the response is "that's an assault weapon."

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #13

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

In california even a rubber band gun is labeled an assault rifle and requires an external band safety

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The situation warrants how the state of california defines "assault rifle".
We don't need another of these tomayto/tomahto threads.

The man wants an AR in california and wants to be legal.
Trip, light'n up people in hell want ice water in my opion should not be in there

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 01-20-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #15

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr

Trip, light'n up people in hell want ice water in my opion should not be in there
Can't argue there.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #16

Liked 1797 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

I thought than anything that wasn't made out of rubber and painted pink was an assault weapon in California.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 174

My definition of an assault rifle is quite a bit different from California's, but it doesn't matter what I say. You guys have all helped and I should've said what Trip said I just want a CA legal AR.

I was wondering about this AR ,but it has a pistol grip, no bullet button and im not sure if it has a muzzle brake or flash suppressor. If I removed which of the evil features would it be legal. for example install bullet button with a 10 rd mag and removed flash suppressor, would it be legal?

Lover of Cold War Era guns, from both sides

Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder77 View Post
My definition of an assault rifle is quite a bit different from California's, but it doesn't matter what I say. You guys have all helped and I should've said what Trip said I just want a CA legal AR.

I was wondering about this AR ,but it has a pistol grip, no bullet button and im not sure if it has a muzzle brake or flash suppressor. If I removed which of the evil features would it be legal. for example install bullet button with a 10 rd mag and removed flash suppressor, would it be legal?
Can't see anything about the AR you are considering. You should take some time to walk through the Calguns flow chart I linked earlier.

If you install a bullet button and use 10 round mags you are good to go even with a pistol grip, flash hider, or any other of the named features assuming the lower is not on one of the lists of banned lowers.

If you want to have a fully functioning mag release then you need to remove ALL of the named features, and of course the lower can't be on the list of banned models.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2085 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 753

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder77 View Post
What does an ar15 need or not need to be an assualt weapon in CA. is it the tree points system or is in just an assault weapon?
The only thing it needs is a stupid legislature.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #20

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Quentin
... just to make it crystal clear, we cannot and it's not our purpose to help anyone in any way convert an AR-15 into an assault rifle. That is a felony (in any US state) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
It really depends on how you define the term "assault rifle." The classic definition does refer to a fully automatic weapon, and you can't convert a semi-automatic AR to fully automatic legally. But, it's a slippery term and in the common vernacular semi-automatic versions of AR-15's, AK-47's etc. are often referred to as assault rifles. Even the tag line for the heading of this forum reads: "Black rifle, assault rifle, machine gun, sub-machine gun, lots of names, lots of topics."

Cnynrat, again just to make it crystal, I said the above because I've seen FTF moderators and adminstrators get nervous in the past when the subject starts leaning toward "how do I make an assault rifle" or "what does my AR need to be an assault rifle". I know this because I got a gentle "reprimand" from a moderator a while back for innocently answering such a question in too much detail.

People not in the know use the term incorrectly and people with an agenda use it for that agenda. We gunowners should be smart enough to avoid using terms or doing anything to advance the gun grabbers' agenda. If this seems over cautious please reread the original topic.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.