Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What does an ar15 need or not need to be an assualt weapon in CA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Default What does an ar15 need or not need to be an assualt weapon in CA

What does an ar15 need or not need to be an assualt weapon in CA. is it the tree points system or is in just an assault weapon?

Lover of Cold War Era guns, from both sides

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #2

This flow chart put together by the fine folks at Calguns tells you everything you need to know.

The first thing to know about Cali legal AR's is you must build them using an off-list lower (OLL), which means you can't use a lower that is called out by name/model in the Roberti-Roos list. As an historical note, the Roberti-Roos list was the first attempt to ban assault weapons in Cali in which they named specific guns that were illegal. Manufacturers responded by building lowers with different model designations that were not named on the list.

So, using an off list lower, there are basically two routes to building a legal AR-15 in Cali:

1. Build a rifle without any of the so-called evil features (pistol grip, forward pistol grip, flash hider, folding or collapsible stock, thumbhole stock, grenade/flare launcher). If you have NONE of those features you are good to go so long as you meet the various dimensional requirements (overall length, barrel length).

2. Build a rifle that has one or more of the above mentioned features. In this case you must have a magazine that is NOT removable without the use of a tool. The most common approach is to use a bullet button, which is basically a way to recess the mag release so that you need a small pointy object to depress the mag release. A bullet is specifically called out in the law as an acceptable tool, hence the name. You still need to meet the dimensional requirements noted above.

I couldn't figure out how to embed a PDF file, so be sure to follow the link above to the flow chart and look at all the details carefully - I am just giving you a quick summary.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #3

One more requirement: No magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Dave, i second that. I experienced/learned all that to be true.
Basically if you get an AR make sure that it has the CA bullet button. You'll most likely be up to code.
+ the 10 round limit.

On PMAGS there's a way to put a little pointy nail on the end of them that works well to release the mag and to stuff the new one in there.
I might and might not have made this mod to my mags depending on it's legality.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
On PMAGS there's a way to put a little pointy nail on the end of them that works well to release the mag and to stuff the new one in there.
I might and might not have made this mod to my mags depending on it's legality.
This has been discussed at length and those in the know think it's legal. There are other versions of this product that work with other brand AR mags.

We have a few bullet button equipped ARs. I think I may try to build a featureless (no "evil features") rifle for my next build based on the Hammerhead grip from Exile Machine. With the Hammerhead you basically grip the AR as you would a traditional rifle.

Last edited by Cnynrat; 01-18-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #6

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder77 View Post
What does an ar15 need or not need to be an assualt weapon in CA. is it the tree points system or is in just an assault weapon?
Your question is worded poorly but you've gotten good answers because kind people figured out what you want. But just to make it crystal clear, we cannot and it's not our purpose to help anyone in any way convert an AR-15 into an assault rifle. That is a felony (in any US state) but you can join the military if you really, really want an assault weapon issued to you.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

♦♦ How NOT to get Arrested for your OLL!!!! ♦♦ - Calguns.net

Can I use 30-round magazines with a bullet-buttoned semi-automatic rifle? NO! - Calguns.net

Recommended.....no required reading. If you have any specific questions, let me know! Also Calguns is a great resource and lots of friendly people more than willing to help you out too. I'd recommend joining! But above all else, read the law and understand it, that way you can disseminate FUD from friendly advice.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Thanks for the responses guys. Also sorry about the vague question. I'm looking at those links you posted and if I got any questions all ask you agenttikki.
Thanks for the fast response.

Lover of Cold War Era guns, from both sides

Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

you can build an ar with a pistol grip, forward grip, it can look like any other ar. it has to have a bullet button and reach a certain length requirement(see calguns flow chart) 10 round magazine, UNLESS you are building a featureless then you can discard the bullet button, but you cannot have a pistol grip or vfg and you must have a compensator or muzzle break. You then can run pre ban 30 round usgi, provided you had them pre ban...

featureless:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=253777

non featureless:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=232935

be nice to the man with the gun, you'd be crazy not to.

i will tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear.

i'm selling all my handguns. i'm going all in on ar's!

Last edited by ennbee15; 01-19-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling and added links

Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Your question is worded poorly but you've gotten good answers because kind people figured out what you want. But just to make it crystal clear, we cannot and it's not our purpose to help anyone in any way convert an AR-15 into an assault rifle. That is a felony (in any US state) but you can join the military if you really, really want an assault weapon issued to you.
It really depends on how you define the term "assault rifle." The classic definition does refer to a fully automatic weapon, and you can't convert a semi-automatic AR to fully automatic legally. But, it's a slippery term and in the common vernacular semi-automatic versions of AR-15's, AK-47's etc. are often referred to as assault rifles. Even the tag line for the heading of this forum reads: "Black rifle, assault rifle, machine gun, sub-machine gun, lots of names, lots of topics."

That said, I think we all interpreted the OP's question to mean "What do I need to do to avoid building an AR-15 that would be classified as an assault rifle under California law."

Reminds me of this Journalist's Guide to Firearm Identification:

Last edited by Cnynrat; 01-20-2012 at 12:00 AM.