What do I tell him? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What do I tell him?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

A lot of the wear and tear of a firearm often is the result of improper and/or too vigorous cleaning. Let's face it, most people don't know how to go about it properly and many over do it. So "undercleaning" tends to do less harm than overcleaning. I was brought up in the white glove "school" like many other old vets but have learned a thing or two since then. My guns are dirtier now than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago and I'm glad of it. Not saying don't ever clean, just be smart about it. It's not hard to put over 1K rounds through an AR in a class/training and it doesn't hurt a thing as long as you lubricate properly.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I would love to hear this guys reasoning for this.
Maybe he was in Vietnam when the original M16's were issued and never got that second memo.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #43

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

So if I clean mine every time I shoot, I'm damaging my guns? Or is this strictly for ARs? I keep my guns as spotless as I can. I field strip to clean every trip, complete tear down every two or three...

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #44

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
So if I clean mine every time I shoot, I'm damaging my guns? Or is this strictly for ARs? I keep my guns as spotless as I can. I field strip to clean every trip, complete tear down every two or three...
Read post #41

Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

Read post #41
Read it just fine, don't think I'm to vigorous.

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #46

Our perception may lead us to believe certain things are certain ways when in fact they are not but then again they could very well be.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #47

That's like telling him hey, don't go there because if you don't go there you'll end up there, however you may end up there anyhow.

Oh dern....

Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #48

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
No, you are not "damaging" your guns by cleaning them every time you shoot. It has all of a sudden become "in style" to run a AR-15 dirty. Pat Rogers and BCM have this little sales stunt going on, about shooting 31,000+ rounds through a AR and not cleaning it. Just keeping it slopped up with lube.

So now it's all the rage to not clean your AR-15 until it's filthy. Do you have to clean it every time you shoot it?, no. Is it good practice to do so?, yes. I've found over the years guns clean up much quicker and easier if you don't let crap build up. Especially semi autos. It's no different than anything else. The better care you take of something the longer it will last. I don't like dirty guns anymore than I like dirty cars, clothes, or houses. The way a person takes care of his belongings says a lot about that individual. I've never been attracted to filth, in any capacity, on anything. Others may not share that opinion.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

No, you are not "damaging" your guns by cleaning them every time you shoot. It has all of a sudden become "in style" to run a AR-15 dirty. Pat Rogers and BCM have this little sales stunt going on, about shooting 31,000+ rounds through a AR and not cleaning it. Just keeping it slopped up with lube.

So now it's all the rage to not clean your AR-15 until it's filthy. Do you have to clean it every time you shoot it?, no. Is it good practice to do so?, yes. I've found over the years guns clean up much quicker and easier if you don't let crap build up. Especially semi autos. It's no different than anything else. The better care you take of something the longer it will last. I don't like dirty guns anymore than I like dirty cars, clothes, or houses. The way a person takes care of his belongings says a lot about that individual. I've never been attracted to filth, in any capacity, on anything. Others may not share that opinion.
That's what I was taught billt.

Oh dern....

Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #50

Well maybe it's because I rarely put rounds through my ARs. That must be it. I'm sure I'll come around one day when I start actually using my firearms like they were designed. That's what I get for listening to all sorts of high speed ex-military and private contractors who have seen more combat than hands full of other soldiers combined and currently make money hand over fist training SOF and private contractor types. Thanks billt for your insight and vast knowledge gained through hands on experience. You have definately pulled me from the dark side and set me on the right path. If only I had been listening to you all along. Thanks again billt.