Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What do I tell him?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Nothing wrong w/ going 1k w/o cleaning.
There is nothing right with it either.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #32

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
That can happen in one day. If a firearm can't handle 1,000 down the pipe without getting it's panties in a bunch, I don't want it.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
That can happen in one day. If a firearm can't handle 1,000 down the pipe without getting it's panties in a bunch, I don't want it.
No one is talking about the weapon, "not being able to handle it". Poor maintenance is poor maintenance, regardless of the reasoning behind it. The OP was ill advised, period. Especially in a humid climate with a non chrome barrel. Not cleaning a gun for 1,000 rounds falls into the same category as not changing your oil for 25,000 miles, not checking the air in your tires for 6 months, or not painting your house for 20 years. Can you get away with it, sure. Is it advisable, of course not, it's foolish.

If you're in a position to shoot that much in a day, fine. You don't have any other choice. But most don't with any frequency. Choosing not to clean any weapon for that length is going to accelerate wear, and is not going to help it function any better. In short if you have the opportunity to keep a weapon clean and well maintained, it is foolish not to.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
I have no doubt that the gun could handle 1k rounds down in in the space of 1 day. Can it handle sitting in a closet in southeast Texas with dissimilar metals in direct contact without any ill effect? I don't know for sure, but I would rather advise on the side of caution. The rapid oxidation of the copper is an indicator of the forces at work on the metal. I would rather he brought it to me to clean, than to think he is letting the weapon be neglected because the FUDD at the gun store told him it's okay.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #35

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Well if you edit then take my post out of context. And anyway that is your opinion. There is nothing to back it. In fact there is plenty of first hand experience going around that backs up the fact that not cleaning an AR has no adverse effect on the AR and that cleaning to much can damage one. If you're going to start this again go somewhere else.

---------

In a normal chrome lined barrel you would be fine. I have no clue what you'll run into w/ a non chromed DPMS from some LGS. Just don't scare him into cleaning it all the time. He'll damage it.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3753

"Take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you!"

Old 05-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #37

Theres a huge difference b/w maintaining and being stupid about it. I know in the old days and even in the military they teach white glove cleaning. Well that's BS and many of the top high round count shooters will echo this. If you have to do it to avoid getting your bags smoked by your chain of command cool, but if you're doing it because some dude on a forum says you have to clean your AR after each use which usually means 200 rounds for most you're harming you gear.

Last edited by MikeJK; 05-17-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Theres a huge difference b/w maintaining and being stupid about it. I know in the old days and even in the military they teach white glove cleaning.
Cleaning a weapon more often than at 1,000 round intervals is not, "being stupid about it". In the "old days" they taught proper weapon maintenance. In and out of the military. Today they have to turn everything into a F'ing endurance contest. If you enjoy running your weapon filthy, then run it filthy. Just spare me your silly logic for doing so.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Cleaning a weapon more often than at 1,000 round intervals is not, "being stupid about it". In the "old days" they taught proper weapon maintenance. In and out of the military. Today they have to turn everything into a F'ing endurance contest. If you enjoy running your weapon filthy, then run it filthy. Just spare me your silly logic for doing so.
Ok billt you're right. Over cleaning a weapon is ok and won't present a problem. Maybe if I put rounds down range in any respectable quantity Id understand better.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
"Take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you!"
Sound advice.

Newest Threads