Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What do I tell him?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
This is the best answer IMO.
A really cold beer is generally a great lubricant/salve.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #22

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
A really cold beer is generally a great lubricant/salve.
Its a double edged sword.

It could be like throwing gasoline on a fire.

I know I'd be pissed paying for a new rifle and getting a used one.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #23

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you're a real friend you'll tell him the truth. That AR has been shot a decent amount. Mine brakes start getting the greenish color residue after being left dirty. It starts out redish in color than starts turning green.

DPMS did not do extensive testing on the AR. You can bet money on it.

Again if you are a real friend you will remove then hide/throw away all the BS mounted on the AR.

If your friend was misled he should demand his money back then do some looking around for a decent AR.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 78 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 14

As his friend I wil let him know he may have gotten screwed. As far as the junk mounted on his AR; I have to say I went through the same "phase" when I started out. I was desperate to go shooting and setteled for the least expensive option to get me on the range and killing paper. I will advise him to shoot the gun with minimal stuff on it until he learns what exactly he needs. I have since learned my lesson and I am saving for good accessories. If he is willing to learn from my mistakes it will save him some money.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #25

Liked 66 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
As his friend I wil let him know he may have gotten screwed. As far as the junk mounted on his AR; I have to say I went through the same "phase" when I started out. I was desperate to go shooting and setteled for the least expensive option to get me on the range and killing paper. I will advise him to shoot the gun with minimal stuff on it until he learns what exactly he needs. I have since learned my lesson and I am saving for good accessories. If he is willing to learn from my mistakes it will save him some money.

EDUB
Truthfully, due to the situation going on? I would make NO changes to the AR whatsoever, other than the cleaning, since it may be a case of 'gimme my money back', and thus, you want it as it was when he got it, even if cleaner.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I won't remove anything from his AR. Thats his decission to make based on the final outcome. I will provide him with good council and let him decide.

EDUB

Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

EDUB
Sounds like he will be getting some good info from you. MIC MBUS? Like $39.99 for the real thing isnt cheap enough..LOL

Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Crisis AVERTED !

My buddy came into work last night and we had a little talk. Turns out he had fired the gun. He was told by the shop owner not to clean the gun until he had roughly 1K rounds through it. At this point he had put 150 rounds through it over a month ago. Which has me curious about the amount of copper deposited at the muzzle. But like I like to say, "It's his pig, I'm just holding the head.". I talked to him about the chinese stuff on his gun. As I had suspected he just wanted to start shooting as soon as he could. I recommended that he save money to get less higher quality stuff and not junk up his gun. He mentioned that he wanted a magnified optic, so I made a recommendation which he said he will look into.

So at the end of the day, this was a false alarm stemming from me simply not knowing he had shot the gun. Thanks to everyone for the input.

EDUB

P.S. I and going to talk to him about his cleaning regimen. His barrel is not chrome lined. I feel like a month without cleaning IN HUMID SOUTH EAST TEXAS is not such a good idea.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #29

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
He was told by the shop owner not to clean the gun until he had roughly 1K rounds through it.

P.S. I and going to talk to him about his cleaning regimen. His barrel is not chrome lined. I feel like a month without cleaning IN HUMID SOUTH EAST TEXAS is not such a good idea.
I would love to hear this guys reasoning for this.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #30

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Nothing wrong w/ going 1k w/o cleaning. I do it all the time w/o consequence. Non chrome lined barrel may be a different. Not a fan of non chrome lined unless it's SS. Melonite sounds promising though.

Glad you got everything ironed out. I'm guessing he doesn't shot a lot. Mention the Primary Arms Micro w/ ADM qd mount. They also have some decent magnified optics.