Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What do I tell him?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Absolutely tell him what you found.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #12

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

If he's your friend I would tell him immediately. Always ask yourself in these kind of situations, if it were turned around would you want to know? Being a good friend sometimes means being the bearer of bad news. Getting hosed on a gun, or having someone tell you your wife is fooling around on you are two that come to mind that anyone is better off knowing than not.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

He got taken for a ride or DPMS did extensive testing on the rifle. If the wear on the inside doesnt match the wear on the outside its either a home built / rebuild or the rifle went through testing.

No scratches on the shell deflector tells me its a new Upper or a protected one. You say there is a lot of wear, so either you are wrong or its all factory testing. You cant have carbon build up on the inside and no wear on the outside unless you planned that. Its possible you are seeing all the carbon from the inside of the barrel and its a re-build / homebuilt using an old barrel...NOT COOL. .... OR... all that black was actually dry film lube from the factory and you don't know what you are talking about.

Have your friend call DPMS and get info on the serial number. They can say if it left the factory as a stripped lower, or complete rifle. Find out how long ago. If they doesnt match what the salesman says, then your buddy can go back and demand his cash back.

The fact you commented on all the chicom MIC gear tells me you need to have that talk with him too. Just becareful there too. I have had "experts" tell me things about my rifle not realizing I have been using and building AR15s/M16s since early 1980s....and I know they were clueless. IE..my BAD lever is a chicom part meant to be on airsoft toys.... My Mako Defense AG43 was ChiCom airsoft...again real Mako Defense is Israeli gear...not chicom crap. I know "experts" who say Magpul is chicom. Just becareful there unless you know for a fact what you are looking at.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #14

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Another way is to look at the brass deflector on the lower. If it is a new rifle you should be able to see no more than 5 brass transfer marks from the empty cases that hit it. The factory does not clean these off. All of my Bushmasters, Colts, and my DPMS had these marks where the guns were proofed at the factory. After the first range trip you could see the difference.

Most all manufacturers ship their weapons dry, but you can tell by disassembly, (which you should do to any newly purchased AR-15), and by looking at the bolt cam pin. After just a couple of rounds fired at the factory, it will still show the flat Phosphate coating on it. After just one range trip the cam pin will show shiny wear as the excess Phosphate wears off. Any new AR-15 will show this difference before and after the first range trip. If it was worn shiny after he bought it, the gun was used, period.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 69 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Okay, so, the truth (as I see it) and a cold beer and have him call DPMS to determine the original configuration of the gun.

There is some brass transfer on the deflector. However it is one, 1/8th in.wide, mark at the very tip of the deflector, not individual marks. So it appears to be an accumulation of marks. The cam pin is worn shiny in several spots and the bolt face has more brass transfer on it than I have seen before.

Thanks gentlemen. Your advice is appreciated.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #16

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Lots of good advice above and things to check. Definitely find out if he bought a used gun then tell him your concerns.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #17

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Before you let him go off in the cold, cruel world alone, verify that he didn't buy a used firearm. If he didn't, then I'd be having a chat with the local gun store about WTF they are doing.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Get the whole story first. Once you have the whole story, you can work from there.
Oh, +2 on the adult beverages.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 69 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I will ask questions first I.E. Was it new? Have you shot it and cleaned it? I have no doubt as to the Chinese origin of his accessories. He even gave me a set of Magpul MBUS to put on and the box has a "made in china" sticker on it. Those sights are too small to clamp on the picatinny rail.

EDUB

ETA: I have already placed a call to DPMS and asked that they give me info concerning how that serial # left their facility. As a complete rifle, as a complete lower or as a stripped lower. I anxiously await their reply.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 05-16-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #20

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Keep us in the loop, EW. I hope there is a good outcome for your friend. Something like he paid $500 for a used AR that works ok for his purposes.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.