What do I tell him?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What do I tell him?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 106 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default What do I tell him?

A friend of mine went to buy a Smith and Wesson M&P a few months ago. He put money down on the gun and it was ordered. Several weeks later the gun store owner told him that the gun was on back order and it would be several more weeks before the order could be filled. The owner then offered my friend a DPMS rifle instead. I don't know if there was and price difference but my friend accepted the deal. After his purchase I told him I would look at the gun and stake the castle nut and make sure the gas key was properly staked as well.

He finally brought the gun by tonight. I stripped the gun down to give it a good cleaning and lube it up since it was VERY DRY. As I stripped down the BCG I notice some carbon build up on the bolt tail. Build up that will not wipe off with a rag. The bolt cam pin seems to have an inordinate amount of wear, considering it is supposed to be new. As I wiped down everything I became concerned about all of the BLACK residue that I was seeing on my cleaning rags. Bare in mind that he has yet to fire this weapon. As I was reassembling the weapon and marveling at all of the chicom airsoft goodness he already has on this weapon, I looked at the A2 flash hider. There is Green residue on the inside of the FH. I have seen this before on rifles where the owner has used a foaming bore cleaner. It leaves a residue from the copper it dissolves which then turns green. At this point I have my doubts as to the "newness" of this rifle.

If this weapon was sold to him as used then, "no harm no foul". If on the other hand it was represented as new, then I feel he got ripped off. He really likes the gun and can't wait to go shoot it. Do I tell him he may have been ripped off or just let him be happy in his ignorance?

Thanks for any advice

EDUB

For all of those would speculate; My friend is not ME !

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #2

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I would want to know if it was mine.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #3

Wow, you do have a tough call on this one. I would probably ask him if it was a used gun. If he ask why I would say it just appeared to have unusual wear and discoloring in areas that a new gun wouldn't have. Who knows maybe it was a demo gun. My humble 2 cents.

Jerry
MAC US Navy Ret
1972 - 1993

Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would have to say tell him. That way if the gun shop sold it to him as new he will, at minimum, know to take his business elsewhere in the future.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

He's your friend. Tell him. Chances are hes not going to care, as long as the rifle works. Hes probably too excited that he has it to really get upset about it. Like the others said, he should know about it though so he can take his business somewhere else in the future.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Definitely would have to let him know.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Maybe your buddy ran a bunch of rounds through it before he brought it to you

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

I would ask him a lot more questions before telling him but I would tell him the facts.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I would ask him a lot more questions before telling him but I would tell him the facts.
This & maybe have a reeeeeeeeeeeeally cold beer to hand him.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #10

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

This & maybe have a reeeeeeeeeeeeally cold beer to hand him.
This is the best answer IMO.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.