Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   What do I tell him? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/what-do-i-tell-him-64579/)

EW1066 05-16-2012 07:46 AM

What do I tell him?

A friend of mine went to buy a Smith and Wesson M&P a few months ago. He put money down on the gun and it was ordered. Several weeks later the gun store owner told him that the gun was on back order and it would be several more weeks before the order could be filled. The owner then offered my friend a DPMS rifle instead. I don't know if there was and price difference but my friend accepted the deal. After his purchase I told him I would look at the gun and stake the castle nut and make sure the gas key was properly staked as well.

He finally brought the gun by tonight. I stripped the gun down to give it a good cleaning and lube it up since it was VERY DRY. As I stripped down the BCG I notice some carbon build up on the bolt tail. Build up that will not wipe off with a rag. The bolt cam pin seems to have an inordinate amount of wear, considering it is supposed to be new. As I wiped down everything I became concerned about all of the BLACK residue that I was seeing on my cleaning rags. Bare in mind that he has yet to fire this weapon. As I was reassembling the weapon and marveling at all of the chicom airsoft goodness he already has on this weapon, I looked at the A2 flash hider. There is Green residue on the inside of the FH. I have seen this before on rifles where the owner has used a foaming bore cleaner. It leaves a residue from the copper it dissolves which then turns green. At this point I have my doubts as to the "newness" of this rifle.

If this weapon was sold to him as used then, "no harm no foul". If on the other hand it was represented as new, then I feel he got ripped off. He really likes the gun and can't wait to go shoot it. Do I tell him he may have been ripped off or just let him be happy in his ignorance?

Thanks for any advice

EDUB

For all of those would speculate; My friend is not ME !

sputnik1988 05-16-2012 08:06 AM

I would want to know if it was mine.

Diver9543 05-16-2012 08:10 AM

Wow, you do have a tough call on this one. I would probably ask him if it was a used gun. If he ask why I would say it just appeared to have unusual wear and discoloring in areas that a new gun wouldn't have. Who knows maybe it was a demo gun. My humble 2 cents.

frostyone 05-16-2012 08:54 AM

I would have to say tell him. That way if the gun shop sold it to him as new he will, at minimum, know to take his business elsewhere in the future.

AndyRexia 05-16-2012 10:50 AM

He's your friend. Tell him. Chances are hes not going to care, as long as the rifle works. Hes probably too excited that he has it to really get upset about it. Like the others said, he should know about it though so he can take his business somewhere else in the future.

silverado113 05-16-2012 11:11 AM

Definitely would have to let him know.

JonM 05-16-2012 12:18 PM

Maybe your buddy ran a bunch of rounds through it before he brought it to you

JTJ 05-16-2012 12:26 PM

I would ask him a lot more questions before telling him but I would tell him the facts.

orangello 05-16-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 803556)
I would ask him a lot more questions before telling him but I would tell him the facts.

This & maybe have a reeeeeeeeeeeeally cold beer to hand him.

kytowboater 05-16-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello

This & maybe have a reeeeeeeeeeeeally cold beer to hand him.

This is the best answer IMO.