Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   What do i need? (First build help) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/what-do-i-need-first-build-help-93167/)

DickTheNickhead 06-30-2013 11:18 PM

I'm learning how to build this thing from YouTube videos and the amazing people on this forum (thank you)
So far I have every part for an AR, except the lower receiver. (California makes me wait 10 days to pick up)...and for my first build I bought a complete upper
My question is, what tools will I need?
...from watching videos I've seen that I may need...

Roll pin punches? But which size?
A rubber hammer/maillot?
Blue locktight? Castle nut wrench?
Vise?
Anything else I'm missing?

MisterMcCool 06-30-2013 11:45 PM

You will need a really long Allen wrench for the pistol grip. I don't remember using any other tools for my build.

SSGN_Doc 06-30-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1291568)
You will need a really long Allen wrench for the pistol grip. I don't remember using any other tools for my build.

Some parts kits will come with a straight slot screw instead of the Allen screw. I recommend getting the straight slot screw from a hardware store if you have an Allen screw, because it is easier to find a screwdriver to reach.

DickTheNickhead 07-01-2013 12:01 AM

What about roll pin punches?

What size will I need?

nickel1911 07-01-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickTheNickhead
What about roll pin punches?

What size will I need?

I'd buy the set. Doesn't cost much. Also, get a set of roll pin starters. I picked up a bolt catch punch also. It helps to keep your lower from getting marred up. I also used a 1/4" clevis pin to help with the pivot pin installation. Also a set of brass punches. Hope this helps. Good luck

DickTheNickhead 07-01-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickel1911

I'd buy the set. Doesn't cost much. Also, get a set of roll pin starters. I picked up a bolt catch punch also. It helps to keep your lower from getting marred up. I also used a 1/4" clevis pin to help with the pivot pin installation. Also a set of brass punches. Hope this helps. Good luck

Order these things from online? Or is this something I can find from Home Depot?

nickel1911 07-01-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Order these things from online? Or is this something I can find from Home Depot?

I got the clevis pin from Home Depot and the rest online. With the proper tools, your lower build will be extremely easy as long as you take your time. Mine was a breeze with the tools I mentioned

TexasGunner 07-01-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Get a set of Starret punches on amazon. They are awesome and will have all the punches that you would need. The front pivot pin tool is highly recommended as well. For $4 you can't beat it!

sweeper22 07-01-2013 06:13 PM

If you bought a barreled upper, all you really need is the most basic of tools (screwdriver set, a punch or two, maybe some allen wrenches, hammer, etc), and perhaps a $20-30 castle-nut wrench. And even the latter can be circumvented with a pair of pliers.

So long as you bought a barreled upper, you're basically playing 'Legos'. But if your upper is in pieces, you've opened a whole different can of worms, some of which can require proper torquing.

BTW- If you don't have a castle nut wrench, the dealer you bought the lower from will probably help you out with that free of charge. But they're worth the $20-30 investment if you anticipate future builds.