Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What do I gain, BCM Bolt Carrier Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default What do I gain, BCM Bolt Carrier Group

I am beginning to drink the BCM kool-aid. I added a BCM Gunfighter charging handle, which is simply a great design idea, that works. I also looked at the BCM BCG (auto). My rifle has run flawlessly, so what will I gain from the "upgrade"? My current BCG does not have the heavier profile of the auto version. I know I won't gain auto fire from just the BCG, but are there other advantages to the design? Does the additional weight increase recoil or internal wear?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Full auto carriers have a shroud that protects the firing pin while the bcg is cycling. A heavier bcg slows down the timing, though it really doesn't make that much of a difference as the weight difference between a FA & SA is tiny.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4463 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

more weight means more positive feeding from the increased inertia. it also eliminates any carrier tilt which can happen and is a frequent cause of feed issues.

the bcm bcg are all milspec and individually tested. the bolts are hardened by shotpeening which means they are typically going to last into the 25-30k range before needing replacement. most non peened bolts last 5-10K. they come fitted with the black inserts and with the o-rings in the bag as an option needed to ensure ultra reliable extraction in carbines. the orings go around the extractor spring under the extractor.

i think they are a no brainer and bcm has em in stock get one or two while you can.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
more weight means more positive feeding from the increased inertia.
Does increased inertia for feeding not also create increased inertia in the other direction, as recoil?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectegr View Post
Does increased inertia for feeding not also create increased inertia in the other direction, as recoil?
no, it decreases recoil by soaking up more of the recoil forces. makes for very slightly softer shooting. my colt sp1 carrier is noticably harder recoil than when i put a auto carrier in it as the sp1 is missing a LOT of metal

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So quick question then, and I'm not trying to start any wars, just curious to know the answer. For me, would it be viable to change to the BCM BCG? Coming from a DDM4V3 BCG?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX View Post
So quick question then, and I'm not trying to start any wars, just curious to know the answer. For me, would it be viable to change to the BCM BCG? Coming from a DDM4V3 BCG?
just to change?? no. the DD bcg is a good set of parts. as a backup?? its always a good idea to have a spare if you can swing it. any rifle can and does break. things to keep on hand are a spare bolt (even better full bcg), fire control group, all other small parts pins detents and springs.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #8

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX View Post
I agree with Jon the DD and BCM BCGs are top quality - and I do have both. As far as a backup, a spare is a good idea but I wouldn't just to "upgrade" the DD bolt. I also keep a spare LPK and extractor kit and other small parts - just in case.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

just to change?? no. the DD bcg is a good set of parts. as a backup?? its always a good idea to have a spare if you can swing it. any rifle can and does break. things to keep on hand are a spare bolt (even better full bcg), fire control group, all other small parts pins detents and springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

I agree with Jon the DD and BCM BCGs are top quality - and I do have both. As far as a backup, a spare is a good idea but I wouldn't just to "upgrade" the DD bolt. I also keep a spare LPK and extractor kit and other small parts - just in case.
Awesome, thanks for the input y'all, I appreciate it. Definitely something to think about, as far as starting a backup stash of parts and such. I guess I've pretty much got my AR to where I want it to be , besides an optic. Figure, it's time to start thinking laterally.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #10

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I had a spare lpk from PSA (w/o fcg) as well as a spare bolt and extractor kit. Unfortnately they found their way into a stripped lower......dunno how that happened........now I have to buy another set of spares, but I'm scared. Damn spares keep disappearing on me.....