Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   What do I gain, BCM Bolt Carrier Group (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/what-do-i-gain-bcm-bolt-carrier-group-66291/)

connectegr 06-12-2012 02:15 PM

What do I gain, BCM Bolt Carrier Group

I am beginning to drink the BCM kool-aid. I added a BCM Gunfighter charging handle, which is simply a great design idea, that works. I also looked at the BCM BCG (auto). My rifle has run flawlessly, so what will I gain from the "upgrade"? My current BCG does not have the heavier profile of the auto version. I know I won't gain auto fire from just the BCG, but are there other advantages to the design? Does the additional weight increase recoil or internal wear?

AgentTikki 06-12-2012 02:23 PM

Full auto carriers have a shroud that protects the firing pin while the bcg is cycling. A heavier bcg slows down the timing, though it really doesn't make that much of a difference as the weight difference between a FA & SA is tiny.

JonM 06-12-2012 05:47 PM

more weight means more positive feeding from the increased inertia. it also eliminates any carrier tilt which can happen and is a frequent cause of feed issues.

the bcm bcg are all milspec and individually tested. the bolts are hardened by shotpeening which means they are typically going to last into the 25-30k range before needing replacement. most non peened bolts last 5-10K. they come fitted with the black inserts and with the o-rings in the bag as an option needed to ensure ultra reliable extraction in carbines. the orings go around the extractor spring under the extractor.

i think they are a no brainer and bcm has em in stock get one or two while you can.

connectegr 06-12-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
more weight means more positive feeding from the increased inertia.

Does increased inertia for feeding not also create increased inertia in the other direction, as recoil?

JonM 06-12-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connectegr (Post 833807)
Does increased inertia for feeding not also create increased inertia in the other direction, as recoil?

no, it decreases recoil by soaking up more of the recoil forces. makes for very slightly softer shooting. my colt sp1 carrier is noticably harder recoil than when i put a auto carrier in it as the sp1 is missing a LOT of metal

XxChino13xX 06-12-2012 07:39 PM

So quick question then, and I'm not trying to start any wars, just curious to know the answer. For me, would it be viable to change to the BCM BCG? Coming from a DDM4V3 BCG?

JonM 06-12-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxChino13xX (Post 833884)
So quick question then, and I'm not trying to start any wars, just curious to know the answer. For me, would it be viable to change to the BCM BCG? Coming from a DDM4V3 BCG?

just to change?? no. the DD bcg is a good set of parts. as a backup?? its always a good idea to have a spare if you can swing it. any rifle can and does break. things to keep on hand are a spare bolt (even better full bcg), fire control group, all other small parts pins detents and springs.

Quentin 06-12-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxChino13xX (Post 833884)

I agree with Jon the DD and BCM BCGs are top quality - and I do have both. As far as a backup, a spare is a good idea but I wouldn't just to "upgrade" the DD bolt. I also keep a spare LPK and extractor kit and other small parts - just in case.

XxChino13xX 06-13-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM

just to change?? no. the DD bcg is a good set of parts. as a backup?? its always a good idea to have a spare if you can swing it. any rifle can and does break. things to keep on hand are a spare bolt (even better full bcg), fire control group, all other small parts pins detents and springs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin

I agree with Jon the DD and BCM BCGs are top quality - and I do have both. As far as a backup, a spare is a good idea but I wouldn't just to "upgrade" the DD bolt. I also keep a spare LPK and extractor kit and other small parts - just in case.

Awesome, thanks for the input y'all, I appreciate it. Definitely something to think about, as far as starting a backup stash of parts and such. I guess I've pretty much got my AR to where I want it to be , besides an optic. Figure, it's time to start thinking laterally.

AgentTikki 06-13-2012 02:48 PM

I had a spare lpk from PSA (w/o fcg) as well as a spare bolt and extractor kit. Unfortnately they found their way into a stripped lower......dunno how that happened........now I have to buy another set of spares, but I'm scared. Damn spares keep disappearing on me.....:rolleyes: