What did you and your AR do today? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

What did you and your AR do today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I finished building it all but the rear sight (it is on the way).

image-371549570.jpg

image-2284707378.jpg

Last edited by GaMatt72; 07-26-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #32

Liked 1316 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Took Homeboy to the range Sunday. Zeroed the Vortex Sparc and MBU sights. I am signed up to take a basic carbine course Saturday 7/28.

Homeboy = my PSA stripped upper & lower, YHM Specter rifle length hand guard, PSA CHF mid-length barrel, BCM bolt carrier group & charging handle.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #33

Liked 4701 Times on 2344 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Me and my AR got acquainted for the first time (insert another big grin here!). Took it to my friend who was a Marine and rubbed it in his face how much cooler my AR is than what he was issued. He was very jealous, win, me.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1193 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

Personally, I think what a Marine is issued is way cooler than something off the rack at the LGS!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
drvsafe Likes This 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #35

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Me and my AR got acquainted for the first time (insert another big grin here!). Took it to my friend who was a Marine and rubbed it in his face how much cooler my AR is than what he was issued. He was very jealous, win, me.
Um, does yours have a giggle switch?

Gratz on the new AR either way!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #36

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Went out to my buddies place for a little practice today. He is in the process of bringing in a few junk cars to practice around . Also had my wife and youngest come out and practice today. Shot some. 223 but mostly ran .22lr today as its cheaper to practice with. Sorry no pics of the wife today.
Yes, I have hearing protection on. They are inner ear suppression

What did you and your AR do today? - AR-15 Discussion

What did you and your AR do today? - AR-15 Discussion

Old 07-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #37

Completed my first carbine course Saturday. Interesting how proper carbine handling differs from handling hunting rifles and such. We practiced the thumb over the top grip, elbow straight out, both feet more or less square to the target and touching your nose to the charging handle when shooting. Also be sure to lean into the rifle. Future range sessions will be much more interesting. We conducted some figure 8 drills with two guys working together to develop footwork, grip and target acquisition.

Had a good time and gained a totally new perspective on shooting.

If you have an AR and did not receive training in the military, take a carbine course.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I did receive training in the Military and still want to take a carbine course! Military training has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. the GWOT, has changed everything from room clearing to combat formations. Individual drills are the same but the techniques are different, I would love to learn as many as possible, I have the magpul tac carbine videos, I think they are great but would love to get out there in person. Oh and I would love to shoot steel, I wanna have my own gong show!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #39

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Completed my first carbine course Saturday. Interesting how proper carbine handling differs from handling hunting rifles and such. We practiced the thumb over the top grip, elbow straight out, both feet more or less square to the target and touching your nose to the charging handle when shooting. Also be sure to lean into the rifle. Future range sessions will be much more interesting. We conducted some figure 8 drills with two guys working together to develop footwork, grip and target acquisition.

Had a good time and gained a totally new perspective on shooting.

If you have an AR and did not receive training in the military, take a carbine course.
I will agree with everything they teach except the nose to the charging handle. To much gas exposure that close and even with what little bit of recoil there is there is no need to bounce it off your nose. Use a sbr or pistol with a short barrel for a class and tell me what your nose feels like or the taste is your mouth . Neither are real great and i dont shoot with my nose on the ch. Lol. who was giving the carbine class where u went and how did ur rifle run ? Any major malfunctions from others guns in your class

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-30-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

I will agree with everything they teach except the nose to the charging handle. To much gas exposure that close and even with what little bit of recoil there is there is no need to bounce it off your nose. Use a sbr or pistol with a short barrel for a class and tell me what your nose feels like or the taste is your mouth . Neither are real great and i dont shoot with my nose on the ch. Lol. who was giving the carbine class where u went and how did ur rifle run ? Any major malfunctions from others guns in your class
The instructors have pretty good credibility, IMHO, ex-military, law enforcement, current private security contractor. Lead instructor is DHS certified trainer, former Green Beret, spent time in Afghanistan in the 1980's.

My home assembled carbine ran great, had one issue with a mag change. Instructors said always load 30 round metal mags with only 28 rounds, to avoid problems with feeding the first round when changing mags and to make it easier to seat the new mags. No one had major issues with their guns. One guy showed up to the course with a 10-22 takedown, but the instructors loaned him an AR to use.

Instructor was Paul Arnold, partner in Boom to Zoom in Marshfield, WI and owner/partner of Advance Defense Concepts.

I am not saying these folks know more about carbines than anyone on earth, just that they know a lot more than I do.