Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What did you do to your AR today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp7345

Wow didn't know that. That puts a whole new factor to think about. Thank you.
If you get time, watch some videos. Travis Haley has some pretty good insight on all that type of stuff. YouTube him and watch some videos.
In the end, do what's comfortable, but there are some techniques that you'll benefit from by trying something new. May be awkward at first but you'll get comfortable with eventually.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #72

Liked 977 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
If you get time, watch some videos. Travis Haley has some pretty good insight on all that type of stuff. YouTube him and watch some videos.
In the end, do what's comfortable, but there are some techniques that you'll benefit from by trying something new. May be awkward at first but you'll get comfortable with eventually.
Yes , Travis is pretty informational . Had I not watched the video of him doing a over the top pull on the charging handle on the AK I would still be fighting it and probably doing what was uncomfortable for me. What I found funny is guys like him that have used the AK in combat prefer that round more than the 5.56. A friend of mine is a private contractor and spends 120 days where ever they send him and his preferred weapon is the AK .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-11-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88

Thank you ill look him up.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #74

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Yes , Travis is pretty informational . Had I not watched the video of him doing a over the top pull on the charging handle on the AK I would still be fighting it and probably doing what was uncomfortable for me. What I found funny is guys like him that have used the AK in combat prefer that round more than the 5.56. A friend of mine is a private contractor and spends 120 days where ever they send him and his preferred weapon is the AK .
I've heard stories of guys in Iraq/Afghanistan who shoot the enemy one or more times with 5.56 but they keep coming because they're doped up on meth.
Maybe they prefer that 7.62 because they know it'll put em down a little faster?

Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #75

Liked 6601 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 5699

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
I understand what preventative maintenance is, but if you clean a firearm that is already clean, it does really get any cleaner.
It's clean. You're not actually cleaning it...because its already clean.
Idk. Maybe I'm missing something here...?
I'm seriously not tying to be cynical.
What does cleaning an already clean firearm do? What are you preventing? Rust?
Idk. I'm seriously asking.
And I shoot all my firearms frequently enough so they don't ever really sit for more than a moth or two without being shot (and cleaned immediately after), so it's not something I have to worry about.
But I'm sure there will come a day where I don't shoot then as often.
One's environment has a lot to do with having to clean an already cleaned gun. sea-salt air, humidity, etc,

Just because you oiled it and put it away, does now mean there won't be any rust, etc, the next time you take it out.

Why wait till its already set in to take care of it???
Old 08-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
One's environment has a lot to do with having to clean an already cleaned gun. sea-salt air, humidity, etc,

Just because you oiled it and put it away, does now mean there won't be any rust, etc, the next time you take it out.

Why wait till its already set in to take care of it???
I agree. I have a buddy that used to put his guns in the closet. You should see his AK and a few of his shot guns . Its a train wreck , full of rust, just unbelievable really

Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #77
Retired

Liked 2268 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

What did I do with my AR?

I tried the .22lr conversion from CMMG. After sighting in (and finding out that the box meant that only HV .22 should be used), I had pleasant grouping out to 25 yards. I did not try any further distance.

Swap out was easy (remove bolt carrier assy and put this in) and flawless feed from their supplied mag.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/caliber-conversion-kits/ar-15-22-lr-conversion-kits-prod54549.aspx
I give it good marks.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Last edited by danf_fl; 08-12-2013 at 10:27 PM.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

I tried the .22lr conversion form CMMG. After sighting in (and finding out that the box meant that only HV .22 should be used), I had pleasant grouping out to 25 yards. I did not try any further distance.

Swap out was easy (remove bolt carrier assy and put this in) and flawless feed from their supplied mag.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/caliber-conversion-kits/ar-15-22-lr-conversion-kits-prod54549.aspx
I give it good marks.
I got 2" groupings at 60 yards with cheap bulk ammo out of a 1:7 twist barrel

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #79

Added a forward grip. Slowly but surly coming together.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #80

Liked 360 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

I tried the .22lr conversion form CMMG. After sighting in (and finding out that the box meant that only HV .22 should be used), I had pleasant grouping out to 25 yards. I did not try any further distance.

I give it good marks.
Ah ha. When you told me you bought a .22 conversion kit I thought you meant for a 1911. Well this is still cool.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"