What did you do to your AR today? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What did you do to your AR today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I ran 90 rounds through it and let it hang out with a few other rifles.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88
Lets keep this thread going..
Keep us up to date with all the mods you do to your AR..

Today, I added more rail covers to my hand guard and added a Magpul B.A.D. Lever..
Next up will be an EO Tech, then it's off to the next build

Here's she is
BCM upper (16" mid length gas)
Daniel Defense 12" hand guard
Daniel Defense BCG
Spikes Tactical lower (w/ PSA LPK)
Magpul fore grip, adjustable stock, rail covers
Stark pistol grip
Troy flip up iron sights
How do you like that forward grip? I'm trying to decide what style I want to use.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #63

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I shot the crap out of it at a day long training event.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #64

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp7345

How do you like that forward grip? I'm trying to decide what style I want to use.
I have recently changed the way I have this AR setup.
The vertical grip is better when it is closer to the mag well. It is easier to maneuver the weapon in really close quarters and gets you a better grip than holding on to the mag well (my personal preference)
But for everything else (not CQB), when your grip is as far forward as possible, the angled fore grip is ideal.
It's hard to explain without showing you, but (for a right handed shooter) your left hand should be rotated clockwise when your grip is near the end of the barrel. Therefore, the angled fore grip acts more like a hand stop (and is ideal for my preferences).
And during really close quarter combat you want your hand near the mag well or on it. And if you're not comfortable with holding the mag well then the vertical fore grip is ideal (as close to the mag well as possible, depending on what's comfortable)

Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I shot it. Had to test out the new BCG after Stag warrantied out the old one. Then I cleaned it.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

i regularly clean all my firearms whether they get shot or not. it's called preventative maintenance. i learned it many years ago. it's the reason i can thousands of miles of trouble-free service from my vehicles and the reason my tools last many years. why would i do less for the firearms i own. i have a considerable amount of money tied up in them. i have seen many firearms ruined from neglect over the years, and it could have been prevented by regular maintenance.

plus by doing so, i know my firearms are always ready to use at a moments notice. i don't have to think they might be ready for use, i know they are.
I understand what preventative maintenance is, but if you clean a firearm that is already clean, it does really get any cleaner.
It's clean. You're not actually cleaning it...because its already clean.
Idk. Maybe I'm missing something here...?
I'm seriously not tying to be cynical.
What does cleaning an already clean firearm do? What are you preventing? Rust?
Idk. I'm seriously asking.
And I shoot all my firearms frequently enough so they don't ever really sit for more than a moth or two without being shot (and cleaned immediately after), so it's not something I have to worry about.
But I'm sure there will come a day where I don't shoot then as often.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #67

Quote:

some of mine don't get shot as much as others and may sit for quite a while. but i don't neglect them just because they haven't been shot in a while.

and unless you live in a completely sealed environment, you have dust floating around, and dirt, and other things. this all gets easily attracted to oiled surfaces. if not cleaned on regular basis, it could build up.

some do cleaned more than others, because they tend to get shot more. but all of my firearms get regular cleanings and oiling. now the ones that haven't been shot, don't need the same level of cleaning as the ones that have been shot, but they still get looked over and checked out.

some of mine also get taken out of the rack and go to my shop for repairs or modifications. i usually have a project or two going on at times, or have an idea i want to try out on a firearm.
My question was about cleaning guns that are already clean. I can see dirt/dust around a firearm if its stored improperly, but I don't see it getting into the internal workings of the firearm to actually cause any problems. But better safe than sorry I guess.
I see where you're coming from though. Even if its not to clean or shoot my firearms, I still pull em out, hold em, cook them dinner, light some candles and talk dirty to em.

Last edited by icallshotgun88; 08-11-2013 at 05:34 AM.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #68

Quote:

it doesn't matter how clean an environment may seem to you, there is always dust and dander floating around. always. do you dust your furniture in you house or not? that same dust and such on furniture is settling on everything.

like i said, the cleaning i do is more about a simple wipe down, a patch run through the bore with a bit of oil and a quick look over to see if there are any problems. usually about 5-10 minutes of time.

i read years ago about a man that had a shotgun that had been stored for quite a while and didn't know a dirt dauber had built a nest in the barrel and when he fired it, the peeled the barrel like a banana. so i tend to not wwant my firearms to meet the same fate, so with regular cleanings and oiling, i know mine don't have anything in the bore.
Well I would consider it to be "improperly stored" if you're allowing enough dirt/dust to collect on it to create a problem.
But I understand taking 12 seconds to wipe it down every few months. But if its enough dirt/dust to cause a problem, you obviously aren't storing it correctly. If its going to be thatttttt long without firing it, then if its not in a case or a safe, I'd day you're storing it improperly.
But whatever. I think we both agree a clean, working gun is important.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88

I have recently changed the way I have this AR setup.
The vertical grip is better when it is closer to the mag well. It is easier to maneuver the weapon in really close quarters and gets you a better grip than holding on to the mag well (my personal preference)
But for everything else (not CQB), when your grip is as far forward as possible, the angled fore grip is ideal.
It's hard to explain without showing you, but (for a right handed shooter) your left hand should be rotated clockwise when your grip is near the end of the barrel. Therefore, the angled fore grip acts more like a hand stop (and is ideal for my preferences).
And during really close quarter combat you want your hand near the mag well or on it. And if you're not comfortable with holding the mag well then the vertical fore grip is ideal (as close to the mag well as possible, depending on what's comfortable)
Wow didn't know that. That puts a whole new factor to think about. Thank you.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #70
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Please keep in mind that flame wars are never a welcome sight on this forum. It might feel good to look at your screen and think, "HA! I showed him a thing or two." But in the end, they are tiresome to everyone else, and will eventually lead to bad things happening to you... bad things.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA