What brand m4 does us arny carry? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What brand m4 does us arny carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Don't know how the army does it, but at Paris island, at the end of a cycle, the inspection process leaves a huge opportunity for uppers and lowers to get mixed up. shhh..it happens.
Yeah man, it was a complete s**t show the quality of weapons we were issued. But, it was typical Army otherwise.

si vis pacem....parabellum.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #12

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm picking out a AR 15 in the next few weeks....hard to figure out what to go with. Today I scored a ticket to the Special Operations Forces Industry Show in Tampa. Colt was not displaying at this show but Remington, Daniel Defense, Knights Armaments, LaRue, FNH, Beretta, LWRC, Glock, Sig Sauer all where there. Not being in the industry some ignored me but Beretta, Knights and Sig talked to me and explained there products. the Sig guys started taking there 516 and 400 apart to show me the different system on each riffle...very cool!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #13

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums
I'm picking out a AR 15 in the next few weeks....hard to figure out what to go with. Today I scored a ticket to the Special Operations Forces Industry Show in Tampa. Colt was not displaying at this show but Remington, Daniel Defense, Knights Armaments, LaRue, FNH, Beretta, LWRC, Glock, Sig Sauer all where there. Not being in the industry some ignored me but Beretta, Knights and Sig talked to me and explained there products. the Sig guys started taking there 516 and 400 apart to show me the different system on each riffle...very cool!
Do your research on companies that interest you but more importantly check out their quality control. I saw one time that Colt measures and tests their parts 15 times before even test firing. Lower end ARs probably are cheaper because of alot less quality control measures.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #14

Liked 256 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 391

When I was a private, the brands varied a lot. Mostly because of replacement receivers. I would see a General Motors branded lower on somebody elses upper. You could tell they were replacement parts because of the different shades of black than the upper. If they were the same shade upper and lower, it was probably a Colt. Just whoever was the lowest bidder on the replacement parts that year. I think the current contract for the rifle is FN.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #15

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Took some time on my sales calls today and stopped by a big gun shop with noncommissioned sales people. Looked at a Colt 6920 and 6940...nice and the sales guy recommended them. He showed me many other brands too but I also liked the feel of the Sig 400 and 516....looked and felt super nice with lots of nice features. The Knights Armament guns he showed me were nice too. I even put a $3000+ HK in my hands...dang, really detailed and nice but so where the $1600 guns too.

Then we started getting off the AR platform and I looked at a FNH that supposedly won the new Marines contract. It takes a AR15 mag but the platform is not AR15. Really well balanced gun in my hands, great trigger feel dry firing.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #16
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1016 View Post
They use whoever is the cheapest seller. My brother in law is a marine.
I was surprised to see my first M-16 was from H&R. I don't remember seeing a Colt...

ARMY VET - DV - NRA Life Member - Holmesburg Fish & Game
Artillery lends a bit of dignity to what otherwise would be just a savage brawl......

Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmglocks View Post
Do your research on companies that interest you but more importantly check out their quality control. I saw one time that Colt measures and tests their parts 15 times before even test firing. Lower end ARs probably are cheaper because of alot less quality control measures.

^ This is correct. Search Mil-R-63997B for the spec on the M16 and Mil-C-71186 for the M4. These two mil-specs list the testing of each.

To the OP,
The M16 family is supplied by Colt, and by FHN in cooperation with Colt using Colts technical data Package (TDP)...(basiclly Colts secret sauce on how they make the AR15).
Originally Armalite designed the AR15 and shopped it around. Then Colt bought the design. There are (were ) like 600 Colt-ArmaLite AR15s in the military.
During war times, the DoD shops around and allows many manufactures to fill goals that Colt and FN can not meet. Sabre Defense and General Motor's Hydramatic being two highly prized roll marks. There was talk of Bushmasters out there, but no hard proof of that has ever surfaced. So if the DoD needs 18,000 M4A1s and Colt and FN can only produce 15,000 in the time frame, the DoD will outsource the remaining 3,000.
SF units can get approval for anything they want....so you will see KAC, DD, and Wilson Combat used by those units.

Last edited by Fixer; 05-24-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #18

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
good and bad about colt losing the contract. bad is the troops get a crappy remington. the good is maybe we peons will have wider access to colt rifles!!
I haven't seen that there was a shortage of Colt branded ARs in the civilian market. 6920s seem to be everywhere I look and they have been releasing more and more models to the gen public as of late. I have my eyes on the LW 6920 (6720?).

--------

Our arms room was full of M4s all of which were marked Colt sporting KAC rails. Uniformity from top to bottom.

All the SOF, NSA, and CIA guys in our FOBs were all uniform as well. Man dresses and matching AKs

Old 05-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1119 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

I'd love to have a Colt 6720 and was very tempted to get one instead of my recent BCM LW build. The carbine length gas is the only turn off for me and why I went BCM midlength.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #20

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
I'd love to have a Colt 6720 and was very tempted to get one instead of my recent BCM LW build. The carbine length gas is the only turn off for me and why I went BCM midlength.
Exactly. I would like to have a Colt but I'm not going to purchase one just to have it when mid length works best for me.