What barrel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What barrel?

Who has the best barrel for the buck? I want 5.56 1in7 twist. I have been reading that the 1in7 has some advantages. What do you guys suggest or think? I want a 16 or 14 inch also. Really want a 10in.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #2

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

That depends on what you are willing to spend , 1:7 advantage is being able to shoot 75+ gr bullets accurately , beyond that Im not sure there is a real advantage 16" is fine however if you go with a 14" remember the flash hider will be pinned and welded on so you wont be able to change it without alot of work , 10" you get to jump thru a bunch of hoops with your local PD if they will even sign off on it , then fingerprinted and then you get to spend an additional $200 if you get approved for a SBR tax stamp along with having your name , city and state engraved into the receiver which will cost you about $70 to get a professional looking job done. I just did this and got it mailed off a week ago last friday . Now I get to wait 6-9 months to get my stamp back to be legal .
If thats what you really really want and dont mind the wait go for it .

Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Daniel Defense CHF

Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMatt72 View Post
Who has the best barrel for the buck? I want 5.56 1in7 twist. I have been reading that the 1in7 has some advantages. What do you guys suggest or think? I want a 16 or 14 inch also. Really want a 10in.
depends on what your going to shoot out of it. for general self defense plinking and just fun shooting i like 1/9 twist which allows heavier 60ish grain bullets while retaining the ability to use lighter 55 grain type rounds. for target shooting i like 1/8 or 1/7 and run sierra 69grn match grade bthp.

as stated above going below 16inches involves nfa rules or welding a flash hider. if your not going the nfa or pistol route its pointless to go less than 16 inches.

personally i dont see any real point going past 62grains with a short barrel, your already giving up a lot of velocity by going small so upping the bullet weight 70+ reduces that even more. the power of a AR15 is its speed. im a huge fan of the 55grain fmj for self defense and plinking its a good mix.

if you choose to run 75grn target bullets your looking at a 20"+ barrel anyway. fast twists on a short barrel to me doesnt make sense

but thats my personal opinion and how i use my ar15's

i like wilson barrels for target use RRA primarily uses wilson barrels.

300 yds open sights RRA National Match Service Rifle using 69grn sierra match bthp

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-30-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #5

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you're running a short barrel such as a SBR you want a heavier bullet to make up for the lower velocity, correct?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Best value for the money: Palmetto State Armory.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
If you're running a short barrel such as a SBR you want a heavier bullet to make up for the lower velocity, correct?
Depends on your theory of use. At ranges over 200 yards regardless of bullet weight velocity out of a very short barrel becomes a problem. Thats why the military m4 has a rough time at the longer ranged targets fighting the muslim brotherhood.

Short range city house to house or oh sht sd situations when its up close doesnt matter.

What really matters is the varience of the ballistic coefficients of different bullets and exactly how far out your chosen round in a given barrel drops below supersonic. How much drop your given loading has. Then you have info on which you can base your decision.

The reason i like 55grain fmj is because with a 100yd zero it will hit minute of goblin from 0 to 300 yards holding center mass sight picture and liekly disintegrate on impact stopping all aggressive action quickly.

I like 69grain for target shooting because it hase a good mix of retained velocity and a nice coeffficient that keeps bullet drop inside the adjustment range of the iron sights out to 600yds. Plus its what my nm rifle likes the best

Its not the only solution to the problem its just what my preference is with my reasoning behind my individual choice. It also means i can keep the shooting lessons simple for my wife so she can retain what she learns.

Its easy for her to know all she has to do is put the sight on the goblin's chest and pull the trigger until he stops. Simple. She doesnt have to factor in wind or bullet drop just remember center mass. This lets her engage targets out to 300yds and not worry about all the whys and wheres of shooting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

PSA and Rainier Arms have the best deals on barrels for the money. I'll toss up my ammo chart for visual reference. This isnt a bible page, just a chart I made for trainees to easily see the relationship to twist and length of ammo.

I agree with JonM to a point. I just see the flip side to his argument on SBRs ammo choice.

If you are going for a 10" SBR, you want to use a really long projectile. You are looking at a under 200 yard rifle anyway. I'd go for the 1/7 on a 10" myself. I'd only shoot MK262 at that point. My philosophy would be, "short barrel = short range, less power from that short barrel needs more bang and more projectile = fast twist of 1/7."

Once you start adding distance into the equation you need more barrel and less of a twist. 1/8 being the best choice, but 1/9 is prevalent since most use a 55 to 62 grain projectile. You start adding more requirements like killing potencial past 300 yards...now you again need a longer projectile and faster twist for not only accuracy, but stability to keep the projectile going nose first into the target where it will properly fragment. The 69+ grain ammo will not start its tumble until after the 100 yard mark in a 1/9 meaning the nose will strike as needed.... but the short barrel gives less energy so there is a chance of a tumble sooner, meaning its best to use a 1/7 twist at that point.

Many of the helicopter pig extermination videos on youtube show guys using both 1/9 and 1/7 twist barrel with heavy long ammo and the pigs drop like rocks. That tells me MOST of the hits are striking nose first and fragmenting causing large wound channels destroying soft tissue and severing vital nervous system communication. So this tells me all the guys who claim you MUST have a 1/7 are not as correct as they think they are. I do see the logic in a 1/7 and SBR... I am just not a strong supporter of 1/7 as a must.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

I am new to the AR I have shot several but have many questions. I want to go with a shorter barrel just cause I like compact rifles. After reading all 14s will be pinned and welded I may just stick with the 16. All the ranges around me seem to be 200 and under. I have shot my old 308 out at 500 but that was a long time ago. I want to be able to shoot heavier loads as well as the lighter stuff. Just never know what will be available. The twist is the biggest confusion. It seems anyone using heavy loads only say 1/7. So 1/8 would be a better all around twist?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #10

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Unless your willing to give up energy and velocity with a short barrel and pay 200 and 5 extra bucks to the govermant and wait for many months to see if you get there ok to own a short barreled rifle just buy a 16" barrel.

Get a 1/8 twist then as that twist will shoot 50gr up to 72 gr fine. Are you building , buying or upgradeing a rifle . You can get a good barrel for general range time shooting tight groups and hunting from AR performance with there melonite coated R5 barrels.- http://www.ar15performance.com/5_56_223