What AR15 to buy..? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What AR15 to buy..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

For the money you can't touch BCM quality in another AR.

Spikes and Palmetto are good lower priced options as well.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
For the money you can't touch BCM quality in another AR.

Spikes and Palmetto are good lower priced options as well.
No doubt. Like I said, the only reason I went with Spikes was because of the Warranty, which I'm sure BCM has, but Spikes Tactical is literally only 15 minutes from my house. So if I have any problems, which I don't think I will, I'll just drive right over.

Paid $882 out the door, plus they gave me a nice discount on some Magpul goodies. Got an ACS, MIAD, 2 PMags and a MagPul MBUS all in FDE at much better prices than I can get on the interwebz.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #13

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You're so right. I'm in love with my sport. Its dead on accurate and so much fun to play with

image-589055757.jpg

Last edited by ShagNasty1001; 11-02-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
No doubt. Like I said, the only reason I went with Spikes was because of the Warranty, which I'm sure BCM has, but Spikes Tactical is literally only 15 minutes from my house. So if I have any problems, which I don't think I will, I'll just drive right over.

Paid $882 out the door, plus they gave me a nice discount on some Magpul goodies. Got an ACS, MIAD, 2 PMags and a MagPul MBUS all in FDE at much better prices than I can get on the interwebz.

-Fred
Nothing wrong at all w/ Spikes. I really like their stuff. I'd like to get one but it's hard to convince myself to get another when there are so many other platforms out there.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have an off the shelf Double Star Star-15. People keep saying it's not very good till they shoot it. Buds has them for 669.00. I went that way mainly due to them being pretty close to me. But I've been real happy with it. But I also didn't buy it as some bench rifle. It's to go out in the woods and not mess up if it gets a little dirty.

There's a lot of good AR's out there though. Take a look at several then think about what5 you want it to do then you will have a better idea what you really want.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #16

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

just tossing my own experience out there... I bought a bushmaster about 10 years ago. seems they get a lot of people complaining about them here talking about how cheap and crappy they are.

mine's been fine.

it's accurate enough for my shooting skills, with iron sights I can hit quarters at 30 yards almost every time, and I could hit the "gong" and "flashback" targets at 400 yards consistently with it too. never had a malfunction when using quality magazines. I tried some cheap 40 round mags from cheaperthandirt, but those things were junk and jammed in every weapon we tried them in, not just mine. I shot USPSA/3-gun competition with it a lot, and never had any problems, I consider it to be very reliable.

but, I'm not a 'hard core AR guy" or anything either. I only have 1 AR, and I've only shot military M16s/M4s, and some colt, DPMS, springfield, and bushmaster ARs. I'd say my bushmaster is on par with mil-spec rifles. --not the best, not the most accurate, but reliable/accurate enough to get the job done

Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm fairly new to the AR world though Ive been shooting some variation for a while now and have found most ARs are fine until you start really start using them hard. Thats when you will see a quick separation in quality.

Another difference is materials used and the assembly process. I've heard the old BMs were a good rifle but the ownership change, changed that. Commercial grade ARs are made w/ profit in mind which is scary. There are however "professional" grade ARs from companies like BCM that can be had for as much or less than an equally equipped DPMS that are assembled w/ the armed professional in mind. Build to proper mil-spec or better parts and assembled to the highest standards. Now thats who I want to purchase my ARs from.