What AR15 to buy..?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What AR15 to buy..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What AR15 to buy..?

hi, im new to the site and I was hoping to get some input on AR-15's.
im looking to buy an AR15 and dont know what brand to buy. i know colt is the brand to get but i cant afford that. i was looking at several different brands like rock river LAR-15, smith and wesson m&p15, maybe even an armalite. i saw a AR15 a guy was selling at the gun show that had a spikes tactical lower receiver and bolt, i dont know what barrel. i dont know anything about these brands or even if the spikes tactical one i saw is good. i want a good reliable AR-15.

thanks for reading

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome,recently I got an Armalite stripped lower from my local gunshop and built it out with all Rock River parts including a complete 16" mid-length A4 upper and am very with my decision to go with RRA. I spent right at $800 for my AR setup.

Spikes, Del-ton, S & W, Armalite and Stag are all other brands that you will also get good value for your money.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Have you considered building your own? We have some very helpful members who can send you in the right direction.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Rock river does make good ARs and they have good prices, my first one was a RRA and it was a good rifle. I have a Stag now and its a great rifle. You are looking in the right direction so far

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by leirhiht View Post
im looking to buy an AR15 and dont know what brand to buy. i know colt is the brand to get but i cant afford that. i was looking at several different brands like rock river LAR-15, smith and wesson m&p15, maybe even an armalite. i saw a AR15 a guy was selling at the gun show that had a spikes tactical lower receiver and bolt, i dont know what barrel. i dont know anything about these brands or even if the spikes tactical one i saw is good. i want a good reliable AR-15.

thanks for reading
I'm not into the AR scene a lot since I carried a M16A4 and M4 on a normal basis. However, I have heard some good things about the RRA and S&W ARs and they are made here.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leirhiht

thanks for reading
BCM makes a fine product as well so I would not hesitate to look into them as well. I knew nothing about an Ar' s and built mine with the help of some great guys on this very forum, you will save some cabbage as well as get exactly what you want on your rifle.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 10-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

The first question you need to answer is what are you wanting out of it, precision long range, or just close quarters combat. There are so many different set up out there that so many other manufactures do very well at. Also are you wanting a piston driven system or direct impingement. Does weight matter to you. Do you feel the need for lots of rails. Are you wanting to use iron sight or optics. Is this going to be a duty gun or just a weekend plinker.

All these thing factor in on how much one should pay for the set up that there looking for. The more you want out of it the more you should expect to pay, brand name aside

Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #8

Liked 268 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Give S&W M&P15 sport a look over. Good basic rifle that can be bought lower than 600 dollars. melonite treated bolt and barrel and shows to wear better than most chrome bores and bolts. 16" 1-8 twist 5R rifleing and good accuracy with a wider range of bullet weights. triger breaks at 6lbs new and even that is better than some. Only thing that some complain about is no forward assest or dust cover,not need for the more than average shooter as the bolt has a scolloped area to push closed if needed and dust is not that much of an issue unless your going out of country with it..

Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Rock River flat hard to beat! With most of them coming with the two stage NM trigger, RRA/Hogue Pistol Grip, Star Selector Switch, Side Front Sling Swivel as the standard rifle package. My favorite is the Mid-Length Elite CAR A-4, although the Tactical CAR A-4 or Entry Tactical CAR A-4 are also fine basic package rifles. Just great quality and you can not go wrong. There are other good rifles out there but they are one of the finest.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #10

Another vote for Spikes. I actually just bought a Spikes 16" Carbine Length tonight. I was initially torn between Spikes and BCM, but Spikes offers a lifetime warranty, and their "factory", if you could call it that, is 15 minutes from my house. Haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but the fit and finish is great, and it has some nice little details that really add some appeal for me.

If I could of, I would've gotten a Mid-Length, but nobody has them. Eventually I'll pick up a barrel with a mid-length system, but the carbine will work for now.

There are also lots of other really good manufacturers that have been mentioned; RRA, Stag, Colt, LMT, LWRC, S&W. It really just comes down to whose rollmark you like the best, and who has the options that you're looking for.

Others may disagree, but I would stay away from Bushmaster. I'm sure they put out a fine rifle, but I have 2 friends who both have Bushmasters, and those two rifles are the only two ARs I've ever seen in person that have repeated malfunctions that still continue when the rifles are well past the break in stage.

Could be that they just both managed to get a lemon, but it's enough to make me steer clear of Bushmaster.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"