What AR to get...windham weaponry or m&p 15?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > What AR to get...windham weaponry or m&p 15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What AR to get...windham weaponry or m&p 15?

Hey everyone I am thinking about buying my first AR and I'm not sure what I should do. My local gun store tried to sell me an m&p 15 for $800 but that rifle has no dust cover or push action thing on the bolt( sorry don't know all the terminology). I live in NY as well so the barrel looks weird because of the state rules. He also showed me a windham weaponry rifle with the dust cover and everything for $850. What should I do ? Any advice would be great! Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #2

The dust cover is not a necessity for most civilian shooters, but it's weird to not see one on an AR, seems to me something is amiss here. The "push action thing" is called a Forward Assist and is used in the event that the bolt doesn't go home completely.

I would first - become educated on the rifle, then decide what you want it for before you make an impulse buy. I think I would also avoid your local gun store and look on line and shop for a good deal - provided you determine what you really want, not what someone else will tell you to get.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1202 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3aI3oon View Post
push action thing on the bolt.
That would be the forward assist.

Not sure on what's legal in NY relative to Sport Utility Rifles, but I would shop around some more. S&W makes a decent AR but $800 seems high, but that just may be the case in NY.

I have never heard of Windham, does not mean they are bad. Just means new brand to me.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmanathome View Post
I would first - become educated on the rifle, then decide what you want it for before you make an impulse buy. I think I would also avoid your local gun store and look on line and shop for a good deal.
Don't be afraid to shop local, you will need an FFL's service at a minimum to purchase a stripped lower receiver.

However, check prices on line, then ask the LGS how close they can get. I like buying from locals because they are more willing to help should there be a problem. Also by the time shipping and FFL fees are taken into consideration, the local price may be competitive.

Equip yourself with knowledge, then buy with confidence.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Windham Weaponry

Started by former Bushmaster employees

Ex-Bushmaster Owner Starts Windham Weaponry | The Truth About Guns

Windham Weaponry Online -

Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #6

I think I said avoid this store - I would prefer to buy local as well, but what I've found is the mark ups (where I live), without exception, are higher than what I can find on line, even with FFL transfers, shipping costs etc.

The most important take away is that he gains the knowledge before he buys - eyes wide open. Most importantly, what he wants the rifle for, and know what NY will allow.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

The S&W Military & Police (M&P) is a fine rifle but you pay a premium for the name. Windham is a fairly new company founded by many of the former principals and employees of Bushmaster. Far as I know the jury is still out on their products, time will tell if they are Bushy-lite or another brand.

Best advice that I can offer to you is to do some research and figure out what you want before you spend your money. ARs are like cars...some people drive BMWs while others are content with a Ford F-150. While both do basically the same thing the decision is based on economics and, more importantly, personal preference.

Knowing what you want, how you plan to use the gun and what the various add-ons and do-dads are puts you in a better buying position to shop around. There are a lot of good, quality rifles from reputable manufacturers available for your $800, you may also want to consider building your own...at least the lower. Check out the stickies on the forums.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #8

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I'd also avoid that local store, $800 is at least $100 too high for the S&W Sport (unless that's the going price in NY). In most states you can find it for $700 or much less if on sale. $850 for an unknown like the Windham is risky, and the specs I've seen are very average, probably in the Bushmaster/DPMS range. I'd go for a better name and better quality at the $800 price point. Of course if you buy online you'll have to find NY legal ARs. You might check PSA which has great prices and quality, see if they have compliant models.

The ejection port cover and forward assist aren't necessary but given the choice I'd want them on an $800 rifle, in fact I'd demand them plus pretty darn good quality.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

$800 for a M&P sport is very high. I paid $750 for my S&W M&P fully decked rifle. Smith makes a great rifle and I have not had any issues. However, if you are willing to spend up to $800-$1000 there are some members on here that can point you out a really nice rifle for that price or help you build one.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
You might check PSA which has great prices and quality, see if they have compliant models.
I have contacted them in the past month or so about a NJ post-ban compliant upper, no go. Not sure if and how NY differs evil-gun-feature-wise. Alternative is to buy the upper, not actually a firearm and therefore not technically banned or restricted, and have a gunsmith pin and weld the brake before pinning the upper and lower together. Common practice here in NJ. Off the shelf post-ban guns generally run $75-$100 more than an otherwise identical free state model so I am not surprised to see that with the M&P. A local shop here was selling a Bushy carbine neutered for NJ at a sale price of, hope you are sitting down...$999.99 Ironically they have recently begun to carry the Windham line, due largely I'm sure to the availability of post-ban models.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 01-22-2012 at 05:45 PM.